Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I only got my masters because (at the time) I was dating a med student and all she did was study. And since my company would pay for it 100% I figured it would be a good way for us to spend more time together. Otherwise I never had any interest in going back to school.
Turned out later to be useful as I would have never gotten into Pepsi without a masters (they were degree snobs at the time) but I didn’t learn a damn thing in my grad program and graduated with a 4.0.

I’ve worked a ton with academia research over the last 30 years. It’s great if your timetable is about 30-40 years for anything interesting. Private sector research has bypassed academia so hard and fast it’s pitiful. They certainly do not inspire or foster creativity or breakthrough anything.

5 Likes

Same as golf camp. You know what they say, school is full of mediocres. Lol.

3 Likes

Amen!

I got my double Bachelors because, well I’m Asian. What I learn from colleges, Cal Poly and Irvine is teachers/professors are lazy they tell you everything that will appear on the test as they usually emphasize that so if you take notes every time they emphasize things and study that it’s a guaranteed B.

The next lesson I learn which applies to real life is from Bs to As there’s only 10% increase but it requires 100% more effort to achieve. When employers are looking at the potential employees they are not looking at how smart someone is, they are looking for how much effort it took them.

That’s what I got out of college, lol.

5 Likes

D stands for diploma…all in sayin’ :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Yep. 1.0 is still a GPA!

3 Likes

Since the passion is still alive and kicking, I’d like to close out my 2022 covers with a take on R.E.M.'s “Wolves, Lower”. I’ve always felt like R.E.M. is one of those bands that is much better than the sum of its parts, which is really the point of this, right? I’m not saying they aren’t great musicians, but I don’t think many of us would say they are the BEST at anything in particular (vocals/guitar/bass/lyrics/drums etc.) Yet it all comes together so beautifully on a song like this. Hope you enjoy, I’ve certainly enjoyed being a part of this thread this year, y’all have been big inspiration in 2022 :musical_note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqzsYcS4VI

12 Likes

Nice cover @Barney ,
You have beat me to it :+1::grinning:
Classic song, great band , nice work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very nicely done @dlamson13 ! Love the tone on this.
:+1:

2 Likes

Top Banana :banana: @dlamson13 yet more music that I don’t know but gets added to my playlist.
I just like everything, relaxed playing, spot on timing and GREAT tone.

Nice way to finish up the year.

3 Likes

Didn’t know the song, so gave a listen to the original.
Great job here @dlamson13 !
All around terrific.

3 Likes

Thanks @Jerry, @Barney, @John_E!

Glad I could add something to the list. I like covering these kind of hidden gems with cool but forgotten basslines. I’m always finding new things to listen to here too, “Mr. Experience” comes to mind as a recent one.

1 Like

It’s a great LP back to back. He’s a real oddball, but he is an awesome bassist. I haven’t worked out whether he’s serious or the whole shtick is one big fantastic joke. I suspect the latter.

2 Likes

Happy New Year BassBuzzers!
For the last cover of the year, I felt like doing a country song. I couldn’t find a tab for this, so I transcribed it myself using a chord sheet. I hope you enjoy it.
Have a safe and prosperous New Year!

14 Likes

Went with an easy song this time. Sometimes easy is hard.

The Specials: A message to you, Rudy.

9 Likes

@dlamson13 - That was excellent, great timing and tone. Love some classic REM!

@JerryP - Superb, that was fun. Also, really tight with lovely tone that fits right in with the song.

@Old_WannaBe - The Specials are the sound of my childhood. Nothing wrong with a simple bassline, sometimes they are the best. Also, nice playing and good tone!

4 Likes

Great job, I love the counter melody throughout the song. I gotta give the hanging Bass position another try. It looks pretty comfortable, lol.

2 Likes

Nice!!! Nailed it as usual @JerryP. You know I just realized you are tall my man, probably as tall as @John_E. If/when I play the blue lick like that my index and pinky would stretch like I’m trying to grip a basketball in one hand. You barely micro shift your ring finger, lol.

2 Likes

He is actually way way taller than me!!!
And I’m 6’1”.

3 Likes

This is not an easy song my anymean. Good job @Old_WannaBe. Your timing is pretty much spot on. If you need to work on anything is the dynamic. Next time close your eyes and pretends that you just finish a joint and let it flow, lol.

3 Likes

Ah! He’s Jerome Reacher, lol.

1 Like