Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Yes, I think my mileage will vary. :laughing:
This may have to do with the type of music we play, and the target audience.
I like jazz, with some prog on the side. My target audience used to be me, two cats, and my motivator, who is a jazz drummer I’ve been waxing too lyrical about already, who records his own music, and knows how to listen to bass (his dad is a retired contrabass player for a national philharmonic orchestra and an accomplished bass guitar player). So he won’t listen to my output on his phone.
And my cats don’t know how to operate the tone controls of my stereo amp.

Come to think of it, neither do I. I’m pretty sure that the Denon amp downstairs as well as my Sony ES in my Jazz Cave have tone controls, but I’d have to find the manual to figure out how to use them. :laughing:
And now, we’ve added the BB community to my target audience, so the plot, she thickens. :wink:

Today, I played both the Cort and the Samick Jazz, and one thing I find is how ridiculously easy it is to get the Cort to fulfill basic bass duties: provide low-end harmony and rhythm and nothing else. No adding any specific character in the midrange, just… bass. And since I have been accused by a luthier of having a ‘genteel touch’, there is not much in the way of attack either when I play fingerstyle – unless I want it. :wink:

So yeah. No chance of me compromising on this song. But I’ll try to crank it up a bit.
The next assignment calls for a lot more voice in the bass track. I might even go fretless for that one.

2 Likes

I’m working on some covers and hope to post some in a month or so. Still working my way through the course so that’s the main focus at this point. When I do get started, I was planning to just record into my iPhone, which would record the sound and some video of me playing. I certainly understand that it would be inferior to doing it through some legit equipment, but I figured it would be a good start.
Is that a typical path for this sort of thing - starting with phone video and then migrating to more serious equipment?
I guess another element of my question is, how bad is that iPhone model? It seems like many youtube covers are done that way, but maybe there’s some extra equipment involved that I’m not aware of???
Thx!

3 Likes

There are devices that can link your bass to your I phone, you can use Garage Band and mic actual full songs. You can get the bassless tracks and lay them down, then record your bass over it, almost Studio quality. I am in the process of doing this with my IPad, since I don’t have a Mac anymore.
I am in the learning process, and I think I am tho only one here doing it, so it’s a learning process.
There are others with actual Garage Band experience, like @howard, but nit thru an I phone or IPad.

The simple solution is to but an Irig device, even the $40 usd practice amp from Irig has iPhone connectivity.

I am useing an actual DAI ( which Irig is basically a DAI) unit from Zoom, the U-22, and a Lightening to USB Camera adapter to connect,.

Garage Band, and other apps model real amps, simulate pedals, and you can use it as an effects processor as well.

Lots of options, not huge $$ to get going.

Of course, simple video works too

3 Likes

Digging the bass track, but the cabin build pics rock! Beautiful up there in Alaska. Haha, no septic huh, just an outhouse! Is that cabin still out there? Looks like the ultimate in social distancing, but probably some tough winters to get through up there, lol!

5 Likes

Thanks @Vik! No septic and no running water. Total isolation… Since it’s been over 25 years since I built that one, I’m not sure it’s still in use or has been replaced.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

A kind of Roy Orbison cover. Some scuffed notes, some missed notes, some bum notes. Close enough for rock n’roll …

14 Likes

Nice work, @sfadams . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Is that a lefty Streamer LX? Sounds great!

2 Likes

I just started playing (#beginnertobadass on @bassbuzz 4-5 weeks ago). I know I butchered it some, missed some notes, and my form is really off (should have been using my pinky and middle finger more on the fretting hand, and was not alternate plucking) but I got brave and made this video the other day. Looking forward to hearing what you all think. And by the way, yes, I FINALLY got my new bass in, cancelled the order with the Big Box store and bought a different bass from Sweetwater - and love it!

14 Likes

Fear not, @JDDaniel . . . we ALL “butcher” things in the beginning! :wink:

You’ve got that track down and further practice will sharpen up all your skills. Everything takes time!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

It takes a lot of guts to post a video of yourself after only playing for some weeks - kudos for that!

As for this particular song/bass line and what you could improve on, check out this recent video from Josh:

Good luck with the course!

3 Likes

Yes it is. A Chinese (Rockbass) LX. Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

Well done @sfadams :guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

2 Likes

@JDDaniel well done, love the new bass :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: :guitar:

1 Like

you didn’t chose the easiest bass line for a cover :smile: but you did pretty well !

4 Likes

sure you’ve been brave and as @joergkutter said it requires some guts to do what you did. that’s very cool !

:+1:

about the bass line I guess you can play what you want as there is no bass in the original song :grin: but to bring some constructive criticism I’d say that, in my opinion, you should not focus too hard about the form and the alternate plucking, because you will work all that in detail during the course. I’d be more concerned about the timing : try to play the note exactly when it fits the rythm of the song, as much as you can, or at least try to have the conscience when a note has been played too early or too late, that’s the way the brain learns. it will all become way more natural with a few more weeks of playing !

about your new bass, you can’t be really wrong with a Jazz Bass ! if you find it pretty and comfortable to play, you can play pretty much everything with this thing !

5 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19

2 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter. I remember seeing that video (way before I began) but just rewatched it and will follow @JoshFossgreen instructions.

2 Likes

Thanks @terb

1 Like

Thanks @Jamietashi

1 Like