Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Amazing how many covers there already are given that it is indeed only the middle of January. What is the official count, @terb? This looks truly to become a record year :grin:

Thanks for the most recent contributions, @PamPurrs and @LesterH, showing indeed the variety of styles and genres covered here!

@PamPurrs: I totally dig what this song means for you and a tip to the hat for that :wink: Now, given that the bass line itself is not super exciting, I would have allowed myself to boost the bass a bit more in the mix and give Fergie a good run for her money!!

@LesterH: great tone on that Ibanez and, yes, you seem very comfortable with it already! For that kind of music, maybe you should have gone with 7-string bass right away - that low F# saves you the trouble of any drop tuning :grin:

Personally, as I am re-assessing and projecting my technical skills on a stringed instrument, I am unlikely to ever call a 6-stringer my main instrument. But, I look forward to having you explore it in a more fusion-oriented context. And also curious what @PamPurrs is going to do with her soon-to-have-acquired 6-string :wink:

5 Likes

I am just a simple post-punk. 4 strings is plenty for me. More strings frighten and confuse me.

9 Likes

nice cover @PamPurrs , I appreciate that recording a cover with a simple/basic bass line is not a problem. we, as bass players, have a role in the song that often don’t require something complex, and that’s perfectly fine.

as a constructive criticism I’d say that the bass seems to be inconsistant in the mix : sometimes it’s very low, sometimes it gets higher but is still mostly too low in the mix in my opinion.

5 Likes

@LesterH 's cover is the 11th one already ! the year starts fast indeed :grin:

nice cover, I like the bass tone you get from the Ibanez @LesterH , with plenty of low-mid growl. isn’t it pleasant to play such low notes ? :grin:

6 Likes

It’s that way in the original song too. There are parts where she is singing and the bass player stayed very low.

Here’s the original for comparison. if you still think I’m to low in the mix, I can adjust it and re-upload it.

3 Likes

@TNKA36 thank you! I am working on a Weather Report song now and trust me all of that “surfboard” I mean fret board is being used lol

5 Likes

@terb thank you! I do love that low tonality. I happen to be a big fan of those lower ranges especially in a break down

5 Likes

@joergkutter thank you. Like I told Brian before I am working a Jaco piece and using more of the chording and extended ranges up the neck. It should be very interesting

5 Likes

That was great @PamPurrs. Fergie has a beautiful voice and your performance was outstanding. And of course great video production as usual.
Enjoyed it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

Amen to that!

6 Likes

Great job @LesterH! Interesting piece of music, not in my wheelhouse, but very well executed.

5 Likes

@JerryP thank you yeah the metal scene is not my favorite thing to play anymore I have played it for years on guitar. I do appreciate your kind words though

5 Likes

it’s not a problem if you like how it’s mixed :slight_smile: it’s your cover, you do what you want !

it was nothing else than a comment, hopefully constructive !

4 Likes

Thank you, but I’m actually asking for your advice :pray:

5 Likes

I would have prefered the bass mixed louder but as the cover is already recorded and published, if I were you I would leave it as is !

5 Likes

Solo bass cover of Pretty Little Ditty by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Any feedback on style or tone (or video editing) welcome :slight_smile:

IMAGE ALT TEXT HERE

14 Likes

Bass tone sounds fantastic. You’re really good at the chording/arpeggiating there - much better than I am.

Bass looks and sounds like a premium SR - what is it? I love it :slight_smile:

Definitely my preferred style of bass - modern, double-humbucker (maybe? Or are those the Nordstrand single-coils?), nice and bright sounding.

3 Likes

It’s the SR1300. I never use the active EQ, but otherwise it’s a fantastic bass! And very easy to play if you’re doing this type of finger picking.

4 Likes

Very nice looking bass.

2 Likes

it sounds very good @trygh , very nice tone and playing style.

by the way I don’t know if I should integrate this kind of partial cover in the official count, what do you all think ?

3 Likes