Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great cover Laurent! I’m not familiar with Fugazi, but the tone from Greenie seemed to fit beautifully.

4 Likes

Great performance @Liffguard. I enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Really nice playing. I don’t know tge song, but you seemed there to wail a few notes right on time, and it sounded good to me.
Good work, tone was fitting too sp all around good job.

3 Likes

Nice choice. I covered Love Shack here. 6 months ago (roughly). Not sure I did the best job. But good fun all the same.

4 Likes

Damn dude, start listening “Pure Chewing Satisfaction”…that’s an order :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I was going to recommend Pigface too but so many people have rotated through that I forgot which bits I liked. The original lineup (Reznor/Ogre/Rieflin/Atkins/Barker) was of course solid but Gub is kind of minimal.

edit: I’d forgotten just how many there were, lol.

2 Likes

How about some bass-driven Southern Rock!

Heard it in a Love Song, a classic 1977 song by The Marshall Tucker Band.

I wrote this bassline from the chord chart I downloaded from Chordify. I hope I did the late Tony Caldwell justice with my version.

Key of D Major
Played on Hofner Ignition
Original Hofner strings
No pedals

Song notes are included on my site.

Enjoy!
https://pampurrs.com/pam_s_music/heard-it-in-a-love-song/

15 Likes

It’s simple, tasteful and very effective, I just wish your bass was little louder in the mix.
:+1:

6 Likes

Thanks, I’ll fix that

5 Likes

nice cover @PamPurrs , I must say that the Hofner suits you very well, for some reason you looks very natural holding and playing it.

no surprise, this bass sounds wider (in term of frequency spectrum) and more blury (in term of dynamics) than the Yam BB with it’s Fenderish pickups, but that’s not a bad thing. that said, it sounds way less punchy and it could have been mixed louder, as @Noisembryo said.

5 Likes

Thanks @Terb I’m fixing that now. Stay tuned

5 Likes

@Noisembryo and @terb Please listen to it again and tell me what you think. I’m listening to it with headphones on my laptop and it almost sound like the bass is TOO loud.

Thanks for the feedback.

5 Likes

it doesn’t sound too loud on my monitors. I’d leave it as is, if I were you.

maybe what makes you feel it’s too loud is because the bass line doesn’t sound very “integrated” into the original mix. that’s a bit tricky but the master bus compression serves exactly this role. it’s often called a “glue” because it’s used to glue all the track together.

but that’s fine, it’s not a bad mix at all.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I have per your previous suggestion… The “glue” is on the master track.

This mixing stuff can get really confusing and quite frustrating.

3 Likes

Very nice as usual, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Your new bass has a great sound, too!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Thanks Joe @Jazzbass19

4 Likes

yeah it’s not easy to find the sweet spot with compressors. but again, it’s fine as is !

4 Likes

i reckon you should do 6060842, or planet claire, they are my 2 favourite B52 songs Toby @T_dub
cheers Brian

4 Likes

Sounds great through my monitors, I can hear deep spongy lows from your bass really well now.

Here is also a video that will help you get into the ballpark since compression is very deep and complex topic and it takes time and experimentation to fully understand it and know how to use it properly. You don’t have to use Waves SSL Master Buss Compressor for this, Reaper’s own will do the job

4 Likes

Spongy? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I haven’t heard that term before.

4 Likes