Post your covers! (2019-2022)

There’s a song for that:

5 Likes

Hi Folks, I’m a newbie to this but would like to do it, have enjoyed all the covers I’ve seen on here.

Pam, Eric, John, Brian and others have already given me some great advice on the software and hardware I need. My laptop is old and would take too much to upgrade so now am on the point of buying a new one, high-spec enough to do all the video and audio. But the choices from my local computer store are many and it’s all a bit confusing. So my question to you all is, which of these would you get if you could? $3,000 is probably way beyond the budget - possibly even $2,000 is, but I’ll get what I need, what do you all think I need to get the job done - which one would you buy?

Processor, GHz/Graphics card, Gb/RAM, Mb/Price $

AMD Ryzen 5-3580U, 2.10/AMD Radeon Vega 9, NK/16/1600
AMD Ryzen 7-5800H, 3.20/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 4Gb/16/1360
Intel Core i7-10870H, 2.20/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, NK/32/2450
Intel Core i7-11800H, 2.30/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 6Gb/16/2320
Intel Core i7-11800H, 2.30/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, 4Gb/16/1520
Intel Core i5-10200H, 2.40/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 1650, 4Gb/8/990
Intel Core i7-11800H, 2.30/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8Gb/32/3300
AMD Ryzen 7-5800H, 3.00/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 6Gb/16/1840
AMD Ryzen 7-4800HS, 2.90/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, NK/16/1520

I’m assuming 2Gb minimum on the graphics cards where the Gb is not mentioned, but I could find out.

The guy in the store said the memory slots on these models are full up, so if 16GB can’t be upgraded to 32, but not sure if that’s true, I just don’t know enough about these models.

All advice much welcomed!

Thanks (I’ve also posted this on the other thread for Reaper/using video)
Mike

4 Likes

This is my response that I posted on your cross post in the Reaper Thread:

You’re going to want to get a computer with at least 4gb of VRAM and capability for at least 32 g of RAM if you’re going to do video editing. The one you described should be adequate for Reaper or any other DAW IMO.

1 Like

@MikePhil

There are still computer stores?
I had no idea. :rofl:

You don’t need to spend $3000 for sure.

I use a Dell PC that I upgraded to about 2 years ago. Was ~$1800

I could be wrong but what I read was intel is better than other processors. Get the fastest one you can afford. SS hard drive with lots of storage and the most RAM you can cram. I’ve got an i9 with 32gig of RAM, not sure about the graphics card in it.

Most high we end music/video machines can be had for $2000

4 Likes

@John_E there are still some, yeah! Ha ha. Budget would be $2000 or less ideally, I think the ones that get into the region of $3000 are the serious gaming machines.

3 Likes

Yeah what I remeber is tou don’t need gaming power you want audio processing power. Very different how it uses the PC.

I was going to build my own but it priced out the same as dell and they had 2-yr interest free and I LOVE other people’s money.

3 Likes

Nice work! The verse section is really tricky - I just can’t get my head round it

4 Likes

Right I spent a bit more time then usual on this one and I think I’ve more or less cracked it. I give you Night Fever by the Bee Gees :man_dancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HybRvr4mi_s

Disco is so much fun to play but my inner masochist is telling me to go grind something more complex. We’ll see…

14 Likes

Could certainly tell that you were into that one @Ed!! Great tone, and a good bass cover mix…. Maybe a couple very minor timing spots, but overall a great cover. Disco is fun to play bass to though… A good simple bass groove is what gets the girls booty’s movin’ and the guys heads bobbin’ while out on the dance floor!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Thanking you :+1:

Those hips don’t lie :grin:. Disco always gives me a shot in the arm.

6 Likes

As a metal/punk/new wave guy in the 70s and 80s, disco was the hated enemy. Now, though? Damn! Those are some good bass lines!

5 Likes

I think disco bass lines are awesome and harder than most think.
The songs are so, so beat focused that they are technically challanging.
Like @Lanny said some minor timing things but sounded great!
You did a great job @Ed, funky is fun.
Thanks for mixing up the genre’s here.

6 Likes

Thanks that’s the plan - to try to spread myself around the genres and much as possible :+1:. @LeftyChad I used to be a total metalhead years ago so I can feel your pain :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I used to have a shirt that said “Disco’s good I must admit, but next to Rock it sounds like $hit”…and then my mom forced me to take disco dancing lessons with her (yes, I did The Hustle).

5 Likes

And if you’re looking for critique, you are slightly behind the beat in a couple of spots. I recognize it because I tend to drag a little myself and our drummer calls me out on it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. With disco you have to stay right on top of the beat if not push it a little. But, damn good cover! You just need some more fringe on your outfit. I think that would solve the issue.

4 Likes

Hmm you could well have a point there - it could be that I didn’t synchronise the bass track with the backing track properly…

Or maybe I was just playing off the beat :+1::grin::+1:

Thanks for the tip :grin::grin: although not the fringe :wink::wink:

3 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

Nice job @Ed! Funky groove!

3 Likes

Very well done @Ed ! Brought me back to my platform shoes and Leisure Suit! :grimacing:
Great tone on the Bass . Is that an Ibanez?

2 Likes

Thank you kindly :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes