Post your covers! (2019-2022)

One more Hal Leonard First 50 cover while I’m at it: Down on the Corner by CCR. Another one with 16th notes…

https://youtu.be/WrFnfEsOozA

11 Likes

WOW, holy growl Batman!
Well done @akos!
What settings are you using on the Lakland for this?
Sounds awesome.
Is this the Geezer bass?
What strings?

3 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TIqB5VtoqW0

8 Likes

Another great cover and super cool tone @akos - chorus on there? Octaver?
The first note played brought back a memory I had completely forgotten.
In highschool my guitarist buddy wanted me to learn bass, I said no (dummy).
He insisted he teach me a song though, and this was it!

3 Likes

Yes this is the one with the GZR pups. Strings are the factory D’Addario EXL165. All knobs are all the way up on the bass - I paid for two pickups, I’m going to use both at full volume! :slight_smile: I used the “contour” mode on the Rumble (+1dB @ 80Hz, -13dB @ 670Hz, +2dB @ 8kHz), other than that everything at noon.

Just clean tone, no effects

3 Likes

Hi @cobaltblue13 - nice work and great song selection for starting out.
Playing whole songs builds a lot of confidence and lots of other skills as well.

Two things to consider…

1. Don’t put yourself down when making a video, just enjoy yourself. As my instructor says, “I can hear through the mistakes”. If you are going to make a funny face, own it and make it a bass face! :confounded: - more this, not this - :woozy_face: (reminds me, we need a proper bassface emoji) You are doing great, enjoy it!
  2. You may wish to do a search in B2B or in Josh’s YouTube videos about muting. It is a tricky concept to get at first and at some point you start doing it without thinking. You can hear some strings ‘ringing out’ after they are played, they should be ‘muted’ with one of your hands (depending on what else your fingers are doing). Good time to incorporate some of this in your practice.

Great job overall, timing things but that is normal, new bass still looks great, keep it up!

5 Likes

I have P envy.
Def need to play with strings on mine.

2 Likes

Thanks!…it’s a tricky one, that’s for sure. But I love Def Leppard…they were a bit band growing up, and I still listen to them to this day. I do tend to do that, lol, I dunno why, maybe from what you say that I made a couple mistakes and all that…and I still haven’t gotten used to it yet :/. But we do need a icon for that ;3. But thank you for your kind words, I call the Bass Christine ;3 we’ll keep working on it!

5 Likes

Love it, awesome!

3 Likes

Nice job @thomas ,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

And because of the…format and not being used to replying just yet, I also forgot to say, some of the notes that ‘rang’ I did on purpose!. I admit I do need to work on that…I cannot mute to save my life XD. but I did some for some added ‘flare’…is…that bad? O.o XD

1 Like

Nice job @akos ,
Great tone and smooth playing,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Sounds like a couple small timing issues on this one, @akos ,
Tone is nice, I think you did a nicer job on “creep”
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hi @cobaltblue13 ,
Great to see you posting your progress,
What I think you should try practicing is alternating your picking fingers as opposed to using the same finger.
It takes time and practice, but it will all come together,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Depends on what your goals are.
If you are trying to cover a song and get it to sound like the original, then it’s not the best.
Once you get into songs that are a bit more complex, that ringing out will create dissonance and bad harmonics with the notes played next to it and be a hot mess.

1 Like

Yea I’m not entirely sure yet, I’ll have to see, for when I do more songs. But I am aware of that, I figured it was ‘safe’ cause it takes a ‘long’ time for the Bass to begin again lol

1 Like

Thank you!. Funny enough, I ‘was’ doing that, but when I’m in it, I completely forget, lol and do one again…I’m too afraid of screwing it up in the middle :/. I appreciate the input! :3

2 Likes

Great job @akos ! One of all time favorite CCR songs. The Lakland sounds great!
:+1:

2 Likes

Good job @cobaltblue13 ! Keep putting out the videos. Everyone here are very helpful with their constructive comment. Keep up the good work!
:+1:

2 Likes

Great work @cobaltblue13 :+1:. Your notes are really clean and clear and they’re all in the right place :slight_smile: . One suggestion - try to get the backing track a little louder if you can: I’m a big fan of having the bass high in the mix but you could push up the rest of the band as well :wink:

Oh - have you tried the bass part for Hysteria? Great for some 8th note practice

2 Likes