Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Making me feel a bit aged @terb😂… Our twin boys were born in ‘75, and our twin girls were born in ‘79. When the sub I was stationed aboard in 1971 stopped in Yokosuka Japan for fuel and supplies prior to heading out on patrol, I purchased a complete Sony stereo system complete with “reel to reel”. Can’t remember the turntable, but do remember the boat pulling R&R in Kaohsiung, Taiwan where almost “EVERYTHING” was cheap due to they not having any copyright laws. As such, I purchased all of my vinyl music there for pennies on the dollar! Thing was, the vinyl was so poor quality that the only time that the song would sound good was during it’s first spin on the table - the sound just got worse real fast after that - thus, the reel to reel where I could just record the one time play to the reel and then just pitch the vinyl disk.

As for the long intro, my wife suggested that because (in her words), “Isn’t there something you can do to the video during the first minute and a half so I don’t have to look at you just standing there with your thumb up your ass!”…

5 Likes

Thanks @howard… When I mixed the soundtrack, I didn’t go too heavy on the bass line so when you listen to it on a phone or tablet, it’s still pretty bright and treble heavy. Listening to it using a stereo or headphones is much nicer. The video portion was a bit of a challenge since I only recorded the portion of the song that I played the Ibanez to so had to get creative with the album covers and transitions during the intro so that my bass notes that I recorded to my DAW matched the finger timing on the recorded video… all fun and a great learning experience!

3 Likes

Perfect! And, thanks for all the background info… I am a sucker for trivia :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks Joerg! As you can tell, I too love to dig into the background history of songs and artists. To me it’s an important part to learning a song.

2 Likes

I want my MTV! :musical_note::tv:

Awesome cover, and even more so, since I saw you pulled all the notes by ear to get the bassline - you got that transcription down!

4 Likes

It is hard to follow Lanny (great job!)! Anyway…here goes my second try…flubbed a bit here and there, but it is the best take I had…thanks for watching. Sorry about the light over my head.

12 Likes

Great job. Long song! Don’t do many like that anymore. Could tell you were in the groove.

2 Likes

Thanks @JT. I re-did it so many times. This was only the third time today though…and yes…seemed very long…

1 Like

Great to see you movin and groovin, good job. I give you guys credit posting videos, I’ll get there someday as well.

2 Likes

Thanks @jazzmo1999. It is so weird how you can play something in the pocket and then screw it ip royally once the camera is rolling! UGH!

1 Like

sorry I can’t watch now (big internet connectivity problem here), I hope I will be able to watch it soon ! can’t wait !

Great job @allanlamonte. After watching all these great covers, I’m going to have to work on my look as well as my playing.
Again, great job.

2 Likes

finally I’ve been able to watch the video ! that’s pretty cool, nice hat :cowboy_hat_face: and the light is not a problem. you seems to be really into the song, that’s very nice, it’s a joy to see you grooving like this.

a constructive critism maybe (no offense intended) : next time it would be a good idea to tune your bass just before you record the cover :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @JerryP!

@terb I appreciate all the constructive criticism I can get and I am embarrassed that it wasn’t tuned. I will be going to check how bad it is soon! Thanks much!

2 Likes

@terb, I just checked the tune of that guitar and the E string was just a tad high. Other than that it was A-OK. It does have flats on it which changes the sound some…I am glad you liked the hat! I had a blast recording this video…

4 Likes

LOVE IT @allanlamonte!! You were certainly in the groove! I too love the hat, and although you might have been off a bit on your E string, your timing is really fantastic. A great cover, and it’s really great to see you posting like this. Watching and listening to yourself is one of the best ways to advance, and typically, we are always our own worst critics… Sharing what you record for others to watch and listen to takes this effort to another level - one that builds confidence in yourself and in your ability. KUDOS!

Keep on Thumpin’!

4 Likes

It is often more of an intonation issue than a tuning issue! Proper intonation is often overlooked (“been there, done that”)… might want to check that too :smile:

2 Likes

@Lanny thanks so much. I felt in the groove and I am definitely my own worst critic…in music and my woodworking. UGH!

@joergkutter good point. I will look into the intonation. I guess that wasn’t looked at when I had it set up…thanks much.

5 Likes

I posted the music on another thread, but also included it in this cover video - the resolution is kinda bad though…

When I decided to do this particular bass cover, I wanted something that was not just a “Classic Rock” song, but also one with a very subtile yet melodic bass line that isn’t too easily recognized. As such, trying to find sheet music was next to impossible which forced me to use my “ear” and transcribe my own notes as I heard them being played in the original recorded version of the song.

It was a great learning experience! Although it may have taken me more time to transcribe the song to notes than it did to actually learn to play the song on my bass, there were a few hurdles in the actual playing process – especially as the song continued to build towards the end.

Aerosmith Bassist Tom Hamilton’s melodic bass line riffs build throughout the song in order to help magnify the intensity of Steven Tyler’s voice. Lead Guitarist Joe Perry wasn’t too overly thrilled with the song stating that it was more a “Ballad” than a “Rock” song – little did he know that it would be this particular song that was responsible for actually launching Aerosmith’s legendary career.

Tyler states that it took him approximately six years (on and off) to write the song which in his words is “About the hunger to be somebody: Dream until your dreams come true.”

Anyway, Aerosmith’s “Dream On”… Featured on their first album.
Dream On - Higher Resolution - 80mb

Lower resolution is embedded below…
https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/DreamOn-SD-480p.mov

6 Likes

yeah @Lanny , that’s pretty well done as usual ! :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes