Post your covers! (2019-2022)

BRAVO @kristine !! Nice with the outdoor videoing idea. Great sound too.

3 Likes

Great job @Ed ! Hadnā€™t heard that song in a while so your cover was a good toe tapper for me, thanks!

3 Likes

Nice job @Jack667 ā€¦ always loved that song, so good to see it here.

3 Likes

Nice work as always Brian @TNKA36 ! Loved the tone of the P for that song.

3 Likes

How close are you?

1 Like

This is the peninsula. 2-3 hours and a ferry. I can come that way but not today

2 Likes

well done @kristine ! the hardest cover is probable the first one :slight_smile:

a saturated bass can sound muddy very easily, often because there is too much bass (on the EQ) and/or too much gain. itā€™s not so easy because there is a subtle compromise to find, it takes some time on experiments :slight_smile:

thatā€™s a really nice P tone and an excellent mix !

@Jack667 I love this song ! thatā€™s a great choice for a cover. There are timing issues on the bass line but covers are a great way to get better at it :slight_smile:

also a nice song @Ed, I liked it a lot at the time. I noticed a few timing issues, itā€™s not always easy to avoid rushing on rock songs.

congrats all, you rock :v::grin:

6 Likes

@John_E thanks for the kind words - nevr played a musical instrument up until 4 weeks ago. I used to DJ at clubs in southern California - i am still into and a fan of tech / house music. i originally wanted a drum set , but the wife said no on that so i picked up a bass a couple weeks back - and here i am :slight_smile:

3 Likes

sounds great man! classic tune!

2 Likes

No worries. I probably wonā€™t have much free time since this is a short trip.

1 Like

cool back drop - almost like a commercial! good clean playing.

3 Likes

@Ed thanks for the kind words. its not easy - does take practice an instead of messing around with video games or making a a DJ mix - i figured I would put that energy into learning something- so i picked up a bass around 4 weeks ago. luckily our neighbors are hard of hearing - or they love the feeling of a deep bass sound :slight_smile:

not a true stingray - its a sterling sub ray 4 based off the stingray. i looked at a lot of videos online of what bass to buy and the real stingray had a different sound to it that i liked compared to the fender p and j basses - so i picked this model up and hope to mod it later in the future.

3 Likes

Thanks @JDDaniel & @terb,
Appreciate your feedback,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

@John_E Oh yeah now you mention it it does have a lot more bottom than I thought it would. I was thinking about using the Rick but I thought it would be too growly. I think the original bassist used a Fender (from the video). Come to think about it my best bass for this would be my trusty Ibanez sr300.

@JDDaniel Thanking you kindly :slight_smile:

@terb I think I was trying to be too ambitious: I was trying to add some variation (like in the original) but it appears to be more difficult than I expected - also, I was practising the bassline in isolation (metronome) and it comes out totally different in the full mixā€¦ Anyway Iā€™m going to dial it back a bit for the next few covers and work on accuracy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@WillieD Oh you will not regret it my friend. Bass is the gift that keeps on giving :slight_smile: I barely touch the playstation these days. And wait til you get down the rabbit hole of new gear, music production, coversā€¦

3 Likes

thx Terb! I appreciate the feedback!

3 Likes

And now I want to practice and learn it. Awesome! :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

lololol! I do, I am, and I did anyway. :joy: And thoroughly enjoyed it, @Ed - thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Funny you mention the metronome - when I turned the metronome on in GarageBand to work on my timing, I realized that Jack White wasnā€™t keeping time with it either! So I just relaxed and worked with the song as recorded. It felt a lot more like when you are sitting around playing music with friends.

3 Likes

Let me know if you want help with the tabs. Someone else asked if I wrote the walkup and that came from my instructor. There are 4 sections, mostly 2 bar phrases - opening and close are the same, the main riff (on E usually, but on A for the first chorus), the repeating 2 bar walkup, and I cop out and just play root notes for ā€œI donā€™t bother chasingā€¦ā€ I play all quarter notes except the last two notes of the open/close at 8ths. (4, and). I can provide the notes on the walkup if anyone wants to see what Iā€™m doing there. I also have all the parts mapped out in my goofy short-hand

3 Likes

Thanks @kristine ! Be sure to tune in next week when Iā€™ll be murdering another classic from the 90s :wink:

Yeah I find metronomes really tough to work with. If Iā€™m trying something unaccompanied itā€™s not too bad but when itā€™s a band number I have real trouble visualising the groove. Although having said that, there are some drum settings on the zoomā€¦

4 Likes