Post your covers! (2019-2022)

No sir.

Those dots are part of the note durations, meaning an additional half beat. Staccato marks are dots over the notes/ staff (in this example). See the 1/8th notes later on in Verse 1

In this part all the notes are played without any space between (at least in this tab).

4 Likes

Nice job @JustTim ,
A few blips towards the end, I liked the bass in the mix personally as it demonstrated you playing the bass linešŸ‘
Good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Great first cover @JustTim and nice song choice! You nailed that ā€œlead-inā€ open E note in the verses, it can be a little tricky. I always wanna play things like this on the ā€œ1ā€.
cool-lead-in

5 Likes

Good job @JustTim ! And not just cos you chose ACDC :slight_smile: It definitely sounds different to the original but I think it works here :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

Today Iā€™m trying Basket Case. Great fun to play and not too difficult to learn. However the original is surprisingly complex with lots of Mike Dirntā€™s idiosyncratic fills and runs. So I basically bludgeoned my way through based on my Lemmy playbook.

As always Iā€™m rocking my Rickenbacker with the Motorbass pedal - itā€™s either that or buying a 100W Marshall amp.

I recorded it once when I did the video, wasnā€™t happy with it so I rerecorded the audio - hence some of the mismatches :slight_smile:

Totally recommend Green day for building good picking technique btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40wvOTZvWAY

10 Likes

Kenā€™s Cover #2. Kind of a special song for me because after I started bass and was pretty obsessed with bass tracks while listening to general music - teen daughter texted me this song link out of the blue and said I should learn it. Well - almost two years later, here it is:

Smoking Popes ā€œMeganā€

Used the GUI version of Spleeter to split the original into 4 stems - then used Audacity to mute the original bass, and record a new bass track of my own. The super bright bass on the original made it hard for Spleeter to grab all the bass, but way, way better than I would have done manually with EQ or an envelope filter. If anyone wants to hear the raw stems that Spleeter made they are here. Psyched I was able to do this with 100% free software.

Squier P-bass with flats, Zoom B1-Four on the included ā€œRock Slapā€ mode. Zoom did a decent job of making a flat P sound like round wound jazz. DI is Behringer 1204.

6 Likes

Almost nothing is more pure fun to play than Green Day! Great cover!

4 Likes

Nice to see you and your giant fern @Ed

Great picking here. I feel like you are a bit ahead of the best in the first half of the song then fall into the groove really well. I find this happening with fast tunes to me cause I think Iā€™m going to get behind.

Otherwise great job on a very tough song indeed. I liked it!

5 Likes

Hi @KenKnight !

I donā€™t know this song, but your bass part is fantastic. Nice growly picking, sounds fantastic! Nice groove and just great all around. Well done sir!

3 Likes

Nothing but good 90s vibes on this one @Ed! Really enjoyed it. I agree with @John_E it sounds like you lock into the groove as the song progresses ā€“ almost like you relaxed a little and said ā€œyeah, I can play fast, no big dealā€ :slight_smile: Nice picking chops too, good mixture of alternate picking and all downstrokes when appropriate.

4 Likes

Thanks @John_E
@dlamson13 - yeah the first verse is usually pretty rough. I think itā€™s like some kind of performance nerves :slightly_smiling_face: oh well something to work on I guess ā€¦

@KenKnight thanking yiu kindly. I actually used virtually the same production process (spleeter etc) . I think the site was ezspleet?Must say Iā€™m pretty impressed! :+1:

3 Likes

Nice job @KenKnight! I donā€™t know the song, but I liked it, and it sounds like your track could pass as the original to my ears. Itā€™s cool that you were able to do the song for your daughter.

Yes, thatā€™s wild, I would never have thought this was recorded with flats!

3 Likes

Nice pick workout @Ed ,
Donā€™t know the song, but your bass line fitted in nicely :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks!

Green Day arenā€™t too bad - ā€œDookieā€ is definitely worth a spin :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great job @Ed ! You really got that pick moving! The Rick sounds great as well. Excellent song for picking.
:+1:

4 Likes

Awesome tribute @Barney! I have really enjoyed watching your progress and honored to be a fellow BassBuzzer. It was great to see so many familiar and new faces. Thanks for including me!! Cheers.

PS - RIP Joe!

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP ! Iā€™m really working on the picking these days and itā€™s good to see it bearing fruit :slightly_smiling_face:!

4 Likes

Some practice in chugging with this one.

13 Likes

your chug is quite nice @JerryP ! a little bit floating sometimes but thatā€™s very subtle

also a nice tone, as usual

7 Likes

Another great job and the mix is just about perfect. @JerryP :slight_smile:
You know, Iā€™m not a huge Fender fan but that Aerodyne is really growing on me

5 Likes