Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@joergkutter Ha! Someday for sure. Not even close to being able to pull that off right now :laughing:

3 Likes

Been a long time since Iā€™ve been able to get onlineā€¦ Things easing up a little bit here in The Peach State and was able to upload a small Bass Cover Video last evening! Gonna go back to work on another original with my old Navy buddy now that we can swap tracks a little easier then the last few weeksā€¦

The link will take you to my bass website, and all the information regarding the song and video are on that page.

ā€œIā€™ll Take You Thereā€ by The Staple Singers. 1972 Stax Records.

The bass line (Although prominent and upfront) is very monotonous except for the middle of the song where bassist David Hood throws in a high octave change outā€¦ Because of that octave change, I was unable to filter out those frequencies without loosing the rest of the songs midrange - as such, itā€™s a bit dirty in that part. Keeping perfect time to a 4:44 minute long song with a repetitive bass line riff can be a bit challengingā€¦

https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/2020/05/18/ill-take-you-there/

Keep on Thumpinā€™!,
Lanny

7 Likes

Well done as always, @Lanny . . . :+1:

Good to see you back again, too!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Joe - Still a bit touch and go thoughā€¦ After logging out, it took me several tries to get back in but at least itā€™s not as bad as it was a week or two ago. I guess since some of the schools are finishing up for the year down here and some of the businesses have started opening back up, things are getting a little more freed up on the internet. Still not as it was before all this mess started thoughā€¦

4 Likes

Much the same up here, @Lanny . . . canā€™t wait until weā€™re back to 100% :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Great job again @Lanny!

3 Likes

Sebastiaan Cornelissen provided me with a Minus Bass track of Aftermath, a jazz ballad he wrote, released on the album ā€œLifestyleā€ of his band Tristan. Itā€™s probably my favourite Tristan track ever.

I wrote the bass line out, grabbed the Cort Action (to make @T_dub happy, and also because it sits so nice in the mix without being obtrusive) and played it, occasionally going slightly off-script.

Recording music again is so, so very good, I admit to getting tears in my eyes listening to it.
Thanks to @JoshFossgreen for teaching me how to play the bass (at this admittedly beginner level), and thanks to Sebastiaan for the Minus Bass track ā€“ and all your encouragement!

10 Likes

Well done, @peterhuppertz - and quite a nice composition for your first cover :grinning:

Personally, I would have put the bass much more dominantly in the mix! (Perhaps it is my earphones!?)

Recording, and perhaps in particular recording the bass, almost brutally brings out timing issues, however small. I say this with the intention of constructively pointing out small weaknesses that you might want to focus on. I also say this because I myself, as evidenced by pretty much everything I posted around this forum, struggle with timing issues, which first really become apparent to me when hearing a recording.

Keep it up! Who knows, you might feature on Sebastiaanā€™s next album :grin:

4 Likes

Lanny that is great, yes the Bass to me was a real drive. My wife walked in swaying her hips. Great F&S project nothing better @Lanny :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: :hammer: :triangular_ruler:

5 Likes

On what passes for the monitors on my desk, the answer to this was ā€œnopeā€. I might have liked that myself, but I showed some restraint. :wink:

I know about the timing issues ā€“ itā€™s definitely not perfect. There are a few bits in the instrumental bit with sixteenth notes. I left it in there, but I probably need to fix that. Or just get better at playing quickly. But man, being able to do this now was something I hadnā€™t seen coming a month agoā€¦! :blush:

2 Likes

Nice one Peter, very well done. Iā€™m on my second listen, nice and mellow. Iā€™m inspired @peterhuppertz :guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: :guitar:
Bass sounds good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

great song and great cover @Lanny ! the bass line is very groovy and you played it really well. also the pictures of the cabin are really impressive ! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Yeah, that is the main thing!! All else is ornamentation (for now anyway)ā€¦

3 Likes

Great Cover @peterhuppertz!! Great groove, and your timing is spot on. Would be nice to hear a bit more bass, but what I could hear had a very nice mellow tone to it. Most Excellent!! Looking forward to hearing more!!

Keep on Thumpinā€™!!
Lanny

3 Likes

thatā€™s excellent @peterhuppertz ! I like the song, and your bass line is very well writen and played, it works perfectly with the composition and brings a nice prog touch. at least thatā€™s what came in my mind when listening to the song. your bass tone works pretty well with the mix and the style.

as already said, the bass track may be a little bit low in the mix, but nothing extreme in my opinion. thatā€™s OK.

2 Likes

Since everyone is complaining that the bass is too low in the mix, I am now gonna listen to it on my reference system:
Sony ES DAC and amp, JMLab Focal 716V.

Back in 3:26ā€¦

2 Likes

ā€¦ aaand back.

The Focals say itā€™s good. The bass came out pretty much exactly like I expected.

However, that doesnā€™t say Iā€™m right. I have slight audiophile tendencies, and I am probably not your best guy to mix music that has to sound ok on an el cheapo car radio, let alone a computer. It may be that the bass has more low-end than midrange.

Mostly at best. The first note after the intro comes in too lateā€¦ and in the instrumental break, there are a few notes screwed up, timing-wise.
But itā€™s a lot better than I expected when I sat down to do it! :slight_smile:

Thatā€™sā€¦ not entirely unexpected. As a toddler, I was weaned on jazz, but during my teens, Iā€™ve been exposed to quite a lot of prog. Chris Squire made me want to play the bass, and Mike Rutherford is someone Iā€™ve come to admire.

4 Likes

Nice cover of a song that does nothing for me ā€“ but thatā€™s me. And Iā€™'m bloody jealous of that cabin.

Your sense of timing within a song is evidently better than your estimation on how long youā€™ve been away from this forum! :smiley:

2 Likes

We are always our own worst criticsā€¦ We all know where our mistakes are when we play. To make it entirely through a song without one mistake (to your ear), may surface a mistake that someone else might pick up onā€¦ I suppose the enjoyment that I get from hearing music - and hearing others bass lines - is something that sort of either eases my soul like a silken blanket, or chafes my ass raw like a pair of burlap boxers.

Your cover eased my soul - thank you for thatā€¦ My ass has been chafed enough latelyā€¦ (especially by my own bass line failed efforts)ā€¦ :rofl:

Still - Loved it Peterā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

5 Likes

ā€¦um, okayā€¦ wow, I guess! :blush:

5 Likes