Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Yes it is. A Chinese (Rockbass) LX. Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

Well done @sfadams :guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

2 Likes

@JDDaniel well done, love the new bass :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: :guitar:

1 Like

you didn’t chose the easiest bass line for a cover :smile: but you did pretty well !

4 Likes

sure you’ve been brave and as @joergkutter said it requires some guts to do what you did. that’s very cool !

:+1:

about the bass line I guess you can play what you want as there is no bass in the original song :grin: but to bring some constructive criticism I’d say that, in my opinion, you should not focus too hard about the form and the alternate plucking, because you will work all that in detail during the course. I’d be more concerned about the timing : try to play the note exactly when it fits the rythm of the song, as much as you can, or at least try to have the conscience when a note has been played too early or too late, that’s the way the brain learns. it will all become way more natural with a few more weeks of playing !

about your new bass, you can’t be really wrong with a Jazz Bass ! if you find it pretty and comfortable to play, you can play pretty much everything with this thing !

5 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19

2 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter. I remember seeing that video (way before I began) but just rewatched it and will follow @JoshFossgreen instructions.

2 Likes

Thanks @terb

1 Like

Thanks @Jamietashi

1 Like

I completely agree with @terb on that one.
You’ve been brave.

And you will be working on the technique in the course as well as timing.
But for listening timing would be more important than technique. Technique makes playing just easier once you get the hang of it.

But Josh will also talk a lot about timing and syncopation and what exactly is going on in that bass li… guitar riff :wink:

3 Likes

Nice work @sfadams! Enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Great job @JDDaniel!

2 Likes

Thanks @juli0r

2 Likes

Thanks @terb. Yes, plenty of chords to remember in the bridge. Plus the famous driving riff throughout the song. I can tell you it wasn’t my first take!

3 Likes

sure @sfadams , it must have been pretty challenging ! but that’s one aspect I like with covers : when you’re on a song, and you want to record something as clean as you possibly can, it brings a strong motivation to play the song over and over again. it’s a pretty nice training considering the playing time and the fact that all this is in almost real-life conditions (you’re playing a full song with a band playing at the same time). and “playing” is always way more fun than “practicing” in my opinion :v::grin:

6 Likes

Gutsy effort @JDDaniel
Keep practicing and you will look back at this in a few months and see how much you have improved.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36

1 Like

Remind yourself of where you were four weeks ago… :blush:

OK, a suggestion (and I can’t imagine it hasn’t been suggested before):
You seem to be doing a lot of work on the A-string – the entire range of b through to g comes off that a-string. Try playing the D, C and B on the E-string, that would make it easier.

Or, if you really want to “cheat”: play the E on the D-string, second fret, and then use the open G-string and the open D-string, and then C and B on the A-string, to make life ridiculously easy.

1 Like

Hi @peterhuppertz
That’s cheating, and not only that, it’s not following Josh’s tuition module. :joy::joy::joy:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I… don’t think this song is actually in B2B?
If it would be, I can’t see how Josh would want to make us play all these notes on the A-string. He would definitely have us string-crossing.

1 Like