Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thx, Howard. Glad you enjoyed it! I mixed it that (unnaturally) loud intentionally but maybe I went a little too far! :slight_smile: It shouldnā€™t be clipping though. The strings are new DR Sunbeams (2 weeks old), love them on my Players Series jazz bass! (Recorded straight into Cubase, no EQ, just a little compression)

I can still hear a few timing issues, most times after Iā€™m too happy about my playing and start to loose focusā€¦ :rofl: Also, I donā€™t like the collapsing joints and some unnecessary left hand movements apart from the microshifting.

8 Likes

Youā€™re quite a bit better than I am as far as the dexterity and proper finger technique goes. I shift a lot more than you do.

4 Likes

In luck, I only had to restart Safari.
Very cool, I like the B&W presentation too.
Everything sounded good (a little too much bass, but that was on purpose, so its all good).
Your plucking hand was not fully in the view of the recorder. were you using your ring finger or pinky for muting? You didnā€™t have muting problems, that was all good, but if you did floating finger, you might get a little, and I stress little, better tone if you can rest stroke into a string with your thumb on it.
Again, everything was good, that was the only thing I could pick out.

And trust me, its nothing big, you are doing really good, I just find my playing is better if I can float my thumb, and I donā€™t do it all the time, especially when I start learning new songs, it is about the last thing I do.
Learn the song, to where I am confident, then I start learning it over floating my thumb, but it is easer to float the thumb after I can already play the song all the way thru with pretty good accuracy.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, T_dub! I only use my index and middle finger on the right hand and try to alternate as strictly as possibly (doesnā€™t always work). I think that you refer to the higher part where I actually didnā€™t mute the A string at all but just let it ring as my timing is too sloppy when I move the thumb up and down. I know that Verdine White mutes it and got to practice that! Otherwise I usually play floating thumb. Strokes should all be rest strokes here though. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Yeah, mine too, it takes work and practice. As long as you are aware of it, gives you something to work on, and if we didnā€™t have anything to work on, we would be computers. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Great cover @alex.s! I canā€™t add any more to what has already been said. Good choice of song and the use of monochrome performance.

8 Likes

hey @alex.s , for a first cover thatā€™s a great one ! congrats !

8 Likes

Great cover @alex.s,
Verdine White is an awesome bass player who is a pioneer of that style of playing.
You have done him proudā€‹:+1::sunglasses:
Really enjoyed your cover.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

OK, so hereā€™s the final version of my Anniversary Music Video that I have been working on for a week or so now. Not ā€œOfficiallyā€ a ā€œCoverā€ since the song has been modified from itā€™s original version (Wonderful Tonight) quite a bitā€¦ Shortened, played at 96bpm instead of the original 95bpm, and no vocalsā€¦ Given the sound that Ronnie created with his Tele, I decided on using my Ibanez SR500E for this recording.

My old Submarine Navy buddy Ronnie Slack and I spent quite a bit of time swapping files back and forth in order to get this one just right. I have played guitar with Ronnie since 1971 when we were stationed aboard an old diesel electric submarine - me being an Engineman, and Ronnie a Torpedomanā€¦ We have played together for many years since thenā€¦ We have also been close friends for almost 50 yearsā€¦

The video I put together is one that is a bit personal. Although it does show some bass and guitar playing, itā€™s full of personal photos. This is how I make music, and the reason I decided to take up playing bass.

Enjoy!

FOREVER - 44mb ā€œ.movā€ File
FOREVER - 66mb ā€œ.mp4ā€ File

13 Likes

Oh man! That was great! I was getting choked up watching it. Really beautiful idea and execution.

6 Likes

Excellent and very moving** photo montage (** literally for you guys, seems youā€™ve moved almost everywhere LOL). Bass playing up to the usual high standard, and nice tasteful Clapton-esque lead guitar beaks too.

7 Likes

Great Presentation Bill, @Lanny
Bass & Guitar worked really nicely,great production, really enjoyed both versions.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

A beautiful cover @Lanny. Congratulations to you and your wife on your anniversary

7 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36, @sfadams, @JerryP, @Macā€¦

It was a fun project. Putting the music together was a great learning experience also. Creating a bit of a different version of an original song is something that I havenā€™t done in quite a while, and is the first time I have attempted it since learning bass. The most challenging part was playing at a slightly different speed. The one most important thing that I have learned from this experience is that itā€™s much better to play wrong notes ā€œin timeā€ than it is to play right notes ā€œout of timeā€.

When Ronnie and I decided to play our version at 96bpm vs the 95bpm that the song was apparently recorded at meant that we HAD to both use a metronome while recording each of our tracks otherwise none of our recordings would sync together. And therein lays the one biggest drawback that I have about creating various covers of original songs - especially those that donā€™t offer much to lock intoā€¦ Timingā€¦ Especially playing bass - itā€™s all in the timing of the notesā€¦

Even playing to an original song using sheet music sometimes sounds a bit off since they never really seem to match up most timesā€¦ Thereā€™s been times that I could never get my metronome to match up to a song that I was playing to, and when I could get it to line up in the beginning, by the time I would be half way through with the song, the recorded song and the metronome beat would be way offā€¦

This was especially clear to me playing to the original version of this song since there was no ā€œbeat keeperā€, (no drummer) to time my bass notes with and as a result found myself resorting to using the singers vocals as my timing anchor when I covered the original awhile backā€¦ Bad, bad, bad!

Not saying that playing or making covers is a bad thing, just saying that itā€™s important to be somewhat cognizant of the issues relating to timing when playing a bass cover. Having played lead and rhythm guitar for years, itā€™s much easier to be a bit in and out on note or chord timing depending on the genre of music being played, but itā€™s never acceptable for any bass note to be out of timeā€¦ No matter what the genre, and therein lays the beauty of those rich deep tonesā€¦

Thanks again yā€™all!!
Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

9 Likes

Hell yesh!!
This is great.
Well done well done well done!

This page is such a feather in the cap of Bass Buzz and @JoshFossgreenā€™s massive teaching skills. Great to see what this program can launch people into. Earth Wind and Fire? Awwww yeah.

11 Likes

This is a cover of the song Buddy Holly by Weezer. My Son Kurtis played all of the guitar parts except for the last solo in the song. This was his first time recording both audio and video. We did not master the song but felt it would be fun to share the video anyway. We have been playing in our church together for the last 6 years and decided to try and do a cover together. His 20th B-day is coming up in two weeks so we decided to have some fun.
Buddy Holly (Weezer)

9 Likes

Great cover Lester @LesterH,
Nice to see your young bloke getting involved.
Enjoyed the video.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Awesome cover brother :+1:

6 Likes

@TNKA36 He is a great kid I mean young man lol He is actually going to play rhythm guitar or our benefit show in October. Thank you @ Mac and Brian

5 Likes

This is so cool @LesterH! To be able to have something that both you and your son can do together like this is priceless! Enjoy!!

6 Likes