Post your practice fragments!

At least for this tune ya.

It’s pretty clear in the isolated bass track that there something. Could be just overdrive or tube sound, but folks say he used a big muff.
I just have the drive turned up a bit on the bass rig and it seemed to be close enough.

3 Likes

That slide sounds sweet! Thanks for the sneak peak, this is a perfect song for you to cover. The bass and sax groove so well here. Sounding really good so far. I only ever tried slide on the guitar and I never got comfortable with it. Is this a drop tuning?

Think it has more of a fuzz quality than OD, probably was the muff.

1 Like

So the tuning here is C on the lower string and G on the upper, making it a perfect fifth slide machine! Some Morphine songs are D/A (I think Honey White is).

Whats really cool was playing the first note it just pumps out Morphine, and you start to giggle a little bit.

I bought a slide big enough for my finger but want some smaller ones to hold instead, which seems more comfortable, they are on order to try out.

2 Likes

Oh that is a nice sound. Some tones are just magic like that. I felt like that when I dialed up my first “Geddy” tone out of the J bass. Makes you feel like a rock star :metal:

1 Like

Love the 2 string man.

2 Likes

Here goes. I’m so glad I recorded myself because I’m shocked at how much I’m dragging down those strings when I’m supposed to be doing ‘normal’ fretting! I miss a few notes here and there too and come in a bit early. I’m going to be seeing a bass teacher soon to help with technique. Lots of stuff to correct in this video, that’s for sure!

This is the first full song I’m learning to play. Despite being a complete noob I entered a competition to play with The Darkness during soundcheck. I didn’t win, but these past five or so weeks of learning bass with B2B at least gave me enough skillz to have been able to pluck a few notes!

T-shirt is artwork for the Motorheart album. Sorry for the crap video and audio quality, I only have my phone to record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glXmIhKhOLg

17 Likes

Nice !
The notes when you have to get up to the 19th fret always catch me out with this tune

2 Likes

Thanks! That 19th fret bit took me a while, some days I don’t manage it. It’s bizarre that when I hit record today, I was able to do the trickier bits though I’m still not fully able to do the bits on the 7th and 9th frets properly and miss some notes there too. My next Darkness song will be Motorheart, if I can find tabs ideally.

2 Likes

Oh you did a really decent job of the 7th and 5th fret shuffle.
I’ve not tried it for a while but your video will definitely make me revisit it again very soon

1 Like

I know you haven’t been playing for very long, correct?
This clip is fantastic!
Really great job.
You’re a natural.
Honestly don’t have anything to critique at this stage.

1 Like

Thanks, I just realised in the video I didn’t really do the slide up to the 19th fret for whatever reason. It’s such a fun song to play.

@John_E thank you, that’s very kind. Definitely don’t think I’m a natural, it’s something I’ve played for what seems like a million times and as luck would have it I managed to do some of the trickier bits (for me) on video. Not always like that at other times!

2 Likes

@StartedAt48 nothing but praise for anyone who records themselves. If you’ve just started that’s really very good.

It’ll be interesting for you to look back at that in 13 months and be pleasantly surprised at where you are!

4 Likes

Nicely done! You are all over the neck on this one. Such a great song. I learned the main riff on guitar a while back. Haven’t tried the bass part but looks like fun.

3 Likes

This is not exactly a practice fragment, but it may fit in the thread…

I’ve begun an occasional collaboration with another musician. We just record stuff at home and send it to each other. He already worked on this (drum machine + guitar parts), and I added the bass after. Getting the part to gel with drums and the already recorded guitars was a bit tentative, the first attempts were pretty boring. Finally, I came up with something a bit cooler. This is a rather poor execution of the concept, but before I go on to polish it, I could use some feedback from the always helpful people on this forum :grin:

Bass+Drums/RhythmGuitar
(no lead guitar, to keep things simple)

Luckily I can trust everybody here to be polite and constructive :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

I think that sounds really good. The bass sounds good. My only suggestion would be to cut back on the kick drum a little, there is so much kick that it doesn’t leave any room for your bass to shine through.

2 Likes

This isn’t quite a fragment but it’s not a cover either because it’s at DEFCON: Level Shit. Posting here for accountability, because I really want to learn this song and not relegate it to the too-hard basket. More info in the description of my video…

Loads of errors, bad fingerings and thank goodness you can’t see my plucking hand.

[deleted]

7 Likes

Video not available to us. Check if blocked, may neeed to put on Vimeo if copyright issues.

Hey @StartedAt48 ,
I am by no means an expert, but I’ll tell you what I do when learning a new song. I take the song in sections and work on a section at a time. If I have to, I slow the song (usually 10%) and just repeat that section until I feel I have a handle on it and move on to the next section, combining the sections as I progress. Wash, rinse, repeat until you have the entire song complete. I hope this helps you.

4 Likes

That’s probably a blessing in disguise then. Down the track when I’m much better at it, I can do a comparison/progress video and stick it on Vimeo.

Thanks @JerryP ! I usually take new songs a bar at a time. Sometimes the ‘simple’ looking bits can be bloody tricky, like a small slide and string crossing in Rosanna that I can’t quite get down yet.

I love watching those one year/etc progress videos people make, and I know I’ll kick myself down the track if I don’t record my early efforts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kudos for posting your progress here! Best way to get some feedback.

What I would suggest is to find a (much) easier song to learn first and use that to get better with fretting precision and memorizing a song, but much, much more so to work on rhythm and timing.

You are trying to run before you can walk, I am afraid :wink:

You might not find such a song in Rush’s repertoire, though! Josh’s course has you covered - 100%! The songs he has picked to work on during the course are specifically chosen to zero in on the main important aspects of playing bass and practicing them while having fun!

3 Likes