Post your practice fragments!

Nice piece @wellbi ,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Not polished – I just started experimenting with open D/fretting G string “chords”, and this little groove showed up. Apologies for the phone recording, as I just wanted to capture it quickly. Buddy thinks it “sounds like something he can’t put his finger on”

I asked him if it was poop and thankfully, he said it wasn’t quite that, hehe. But yeah – I kinda agreed but can’t place it, either. Any songs come to mind when you guys hear it? If it’s not too accidentally derivative of something, I might make it into a song… and heck, I might make it into a song, anyway!

8 Likes

I like this thing you invented.

5 Likes

Thanks! I like that it’s certainly more funky than what I have been messing with lately, so I didn’t want it to get away. Not gonna lie – I changed my strings and got inspired over that. Always the “new equipment” that gets me out of my comfort zone.

4 Likes

Hey put some flange on that and you could have some old school goth rock

3 Likes

My God that’s genius. I have the studio torn to pieces at the moment but if I can get some of the effects up here, I’m giving that a try. :smiley:

4 Likes

Or chorus into delay and reverb and you can go Full 4AD :rofl:

seriously would sound awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbOrwVOAX4

4 Likes

Hahaha – I do like messing around with pedals to the point where things get weird and unknown territories are explored. Where people will ask things like, “is the bass part being played on a digerie-doo?”

Seriously though, cool video, @Howard! I like!

5 Likes

… I am having so much fun with the guitar and bass combo …

6 Likes

When I were a young lad of 17, I had three dreams - to become a fighter pilot, to know the love of a good woman, and to crack the bassline for The Real Me (the WASP cover). Unfortunately, despite me recent efforts, today was not going to be the day I could cross off the last one.

Still, my T-bird was thirsting for exposure so I thought this may merit a post as a practice fragment. It generally goes well (although nowhere near the Entwhistle original) but I really messed up the duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh-duh bit around 2:16 - for some reason I lost the beat and couldn’t really get it back. Oh well, nothing a couple more weeks’ sweat won’t sort out.

The piece is pretty much all improvised around (I think) G minor pentatonic? I’m tuned down 1/2 step and unfortunately I don’t have the frets to hit a couple of the really high notes. I could have used my Ibanez I guess but my T-bird looks meaner :slight_smile:

Oh I added some compression after recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTMAsJxvPZE

8 Likes

sounding to me like you are well on your way man!
fast playing is very difficult for me, you will get there though!

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E - I really have gained an appreciation for Entwhistle since I started trying Who covers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Kudos for tackling such a tricky bass line, @Ed !

As John said, fast lines (and such a constant barrage of notes) are difficult to play, and - if I may come with some criticism - it seems to me the main issue for you is not so much technical (plucking, fretting) as it is in locking with the drummer and keeping the groove. To me, it seems you are behind the drummer most of the time, whereas you probably ideally want to be just slightly “ahead” of the drummer.

Maybe you could focus on playing strings of straight 8ths (“chugging” style first) along to an appropriate drum groove and slowly increase the tempo while really trying to feel that you lock with the beat!?!

5 Likes

You know, I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but yes - I think you’ve got it. For some reason I can only hear it after I’ve recorded it and played it back…

Sounds like a plan to me :slight_smile: . maybe some ZZTop is what is needed here :slight_smile: :+1:

4 Likes

with all the musical notation for everything imaginable, it just occured to me that there is no notation to designate to play slightly ahead or behind. I know some genres sort of dictate it etc but one would think someone would have come up with a symbol vs. leaving it to figure out.

5 Likes

Excellent work on the tricky bass line @Ed !

3 Likes

Thanks @JerryP ! I think I’m still a little underlevelled for this beast but go hard or go home that’s what I say :grin:

3 Likes

As far as I know, this is some of these “intangible” things and thus not easily described and probably even less easily notated. @Gio once explained to me that it is - in almost all cases - considered “bad” when the bass plays behind the groove. As a former drummer, I seem to remember that it is typically easier to keep the groove if you always try to be just a hair ahead of the beat. It is really hard to explain… and do! (See also the infamous “are you rushing or are you dragging” scene in Whiplash).

3 Likes

It is often (basically always) tough to hear what you do in the moment, which is why recording yourself and critically assessing what you played is a very essential tool to improve :smile:

4 Likes

I dunno about that.
Blues, some funk, some jazz and some various other things need a slightly laid back groove.

Born Under A Bad Sign is a great example of needing to lag a tiny bit.

5 Likes