Potentially silly question about one of my basses

It took me a while to learn about the models of this company and the imports. Hopefully, this will help give reference to the beginners that just getting into the gears.

It’s very difficult for a beginner to identify the MusicMan bass by name. It seems like a requirement for Ernie’s son, Sterling to get the name intertwined with everything they do at some point.

There’s a USA Ernie Ball Music Man (EBMM) Stingray
EBMM Sabre or 2 pickup Stingray later known as Stingray HH
There’s a Stingray Cutlass which is a carbon fiber neck then later they use the same name for a P bass style EBMM along side a Caprice the PJ style.
Then there’s a Bongo bass design by BMW
And lastly the EBMM Sterling. It’s a slimmer body 1.5” at nutwidth full rock’n’roll aggressive tone.
Along the way they also offer USA made SUB series utilizing slab body and rugged textured paint, offered in both Stingray and Sterling style but as rare as the Stingray the Sterling USA SUB is near impossible to find nowadays.

Then there’s the Imports. Sterling by MusicMan
Even more confusing model name.
There’s a S.U.B. Series
SUB Ray4, Ray5
Ray34CA Classic Active, slab body 2 band EQ
Ray34 Same spec as EBMM stingray
SB4 Sterling style body no control plate
SB14 EBMM Sterling Copy with 3 position switch Series/ Single coil (phantom coil)/ parallel.

I’ll try to line them up in the same order these are not all of the models EBMM and Sterling has but are the one that I own(ed) enjoy!

EBMM StingRay Neck Through

EBMM Cutlass and Caprice

EBMM Bongo HS piezo Limited edition

EBMM Sabre Bass

EBMM Stingray 40th anniversary

EBMM BFR Ball Family Reserves Feugo 5 string fretless
IMG_3438
IMG_3440

EBMM Sterling 5 string

EBMM Sterling 4H ‘90s with Flea Bridge

EBMM Stingray classic (white) Stingray Special Charcoal sparkles

Sterling by Music man SBMM Ray5 and Short scale stingray

EBMM Sterling Fretless

EBMM USA SUB 5

Sterling by Music man Ray5 S.U.B.

Sterling by musicman Ray34 PB Neptune blue

Ray34 Natural

SBMM Ray35

SBMM SB14 next to a EBMM Sterling Fretless

SBMM Ray24

SBMM Ray34CA

Bonus
EBMM Artist Series Joe Dart 2 and My own creation SBMM Joe Dart

1 Like

Maynard G. Krebs.

He always accentuated that “G.” :crazy_face:

2 Likes

What do you think of the short scale?

1 Like

I’ve got an SBMM short scale. It has a great neck, the body feels comfortable and the electronics are solid. Plus, it sounds like a StingRay. All good.

I love it. As you know I also have the Fretless of that short scale. Super awesome. 22 frets cover most range.

I like the passive NEODYMIUM magnets and the Sterling style series,/ phanthom/ parallel is convenient.

That’s a good one. It’s the cheapest stingray replica you can get. Nowadays everything cheap comes with 1.5 neck at the nut.

1 Like

That Blue Bongo is the bomb!!!

1 Like

?? tell me more about this, is it custom? also i have been meaning to ask you, on the EB forum you always hear people that rave about the HS piezo pickups, i have heard people say it is the best sounding bass EB ever made. of course other people don’t like it at all, what do you think? they still pop up on reverb.

1 Like

Piezo usually makes everything sounds like acoustic/ electric, on my Bongo I can dial it to sound deep enough so it won’t sound as harsh. That said on live performances the harsh saddle transducer help sell the vibe, lol.

I like HS because the neck pickup doesn’t sound as thick and warm like the Humbucker, it’s very tight and clean, when combined with the MM position it sounds very good.

1 Like

cool. what about the fretless MM short scale, i’ve never seen or heard of this. custom neck? one off?

1 Like

It’s made by Lignum. I have 2 of their custom made and 2 more are on the way. The 2 Fretless neck was from the first order but they didn’t get to it so when I ordered the second bass they told me that they’d make the 2 necks for free.

It’s really fun to play Fretless in the short scale as the tone is warmer and fuller plus I use the nylon wound which makes for even more satisfying tone.

1 Like