Practice fretboard, for beginners

Scott from SBL has a lesson on that https://youtu.be/Y7X6-FiPFfs

1 Like

Yup, doing this will help you 100% learning the frettboard notes on your bass. Scott approved :+1:Big Al approved. :ok_hand: :joy::rofl:
Great Job @sshoihet,finding that video.

1 Like

Shower thought.
If our instrument is tuned in fourths, wouldn’t the circle of fourths be better?

Better for what?
BTW, your instrument is tuned in fifths from G down to E. Take that back to the shower for a while. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The circle of 5ths backwards is the circle of fourths.

2 Likes

Just came across this topic today. It’s kind of personal to my journey as it happens. I suppose I’m learning the fretboard twice. The first time around it was sheer brute force. Diagrams, memorizing, going one fret at a time. Luckily I’m quite happy with that kind of work. The second time around is when it dawned on me that ‘knowing’ the frets isn’t enough, that they have to be even more internalized so you can do stuff without thinking about it. I guess the first time around, ‘knowing’ meant more from the perspective of talking about it. I could point to all the frets and name them, I knew where all the scales could be played as well as all the chords. But that isn’t the same as playing it. So now on round two, it’s doing some things that I’d seen offered above, play through the circle of 5ths using scales, chord progressions, as well play this stuff in various intervals 2nds, 3rds, 4ths etc. Finally, for me, I needed to put that in my daily practice routine. I guess that is more of the brute force I mentioned above. Anyways, doing that I have been able to see improvement in my ability to move around without having to think so hard.

4 Likes

Great methods for learning the fretboard.

OK I can get it back to the bathroom, it still tells me that bass is tuned in fourths

Going up strings from E to G - fourths
Going down strings G to E - fifths

2 Likes

Yep. Ascending is fourths, descending is fifths. Which makes sense when you think about it. A perfect fourth is five semitones, and a perfect fifth is seven; there are 12 semitones in an octave. Fifth plus fourth = octave; hence, ascending will be one and descending the other.

2 Likes