Practice set up

Yep, I have something very similar.

1 Like

I 3D printed mine for the wall

2 Likes

Very cool! I dig the 3D labeling.

1 Like

Sorry for the late answer! This is a headphone hanger and I bought it here.

1 Like

Sorry to be late to the party, havenā€™t been caught up in days.

Right now my practice amp is an Orange 25 watt. Not the biggest thump but I can practice full out and not worry about annoying neighbors.

Iā€™ve also got a 40 watt ampeg rocket for when I want thump. And a Rumble 100 for when I want to rattle the house. But that I got when I was looking into jamming with some locals which didnā€™t pan out

1 Like

Iā€™ll also add that not all page turners will work if wanting to control a music player. Some are fixed to PageUp PageDn or arrow keys. If using the player in ultimate guitar, for example, you need backspace if you want to jump to top of song or top of loop. To do this you need a Bluetooth pedal with presets for assigning what key to press with what footswitch. I know AirTurn has programmable keys.

3 Likes

Thank you. That sounds like a really cool set up. Will explore.

1 Like

My new set up seems to be working. Will be tweeking and improving as I go.

7 Likes

[ Comment for people still working through the modules for the first time, because we donā€™t need to display more than a page or 2 of music at once. ]

I have 3 setups I use depending on when it is and who is around. My bass is in the office next to my computer so I can practice on work breaks, so all of this is built around the convenience and inconvenience of that. My father-in-lawā€™s bedroom is next to the office, for one complicating factor. (Heā€™s a nice man, and patient, but I donā€™t want to take advantage of that, you see.)

I printed all the sheet music, and I keep it on an iPad stand on my desk (my music stand is in another room and I donā€™t want it taking up space here). I use this every time I practice, so thatā€™s consistent across all scenarios. Also my bass is a cheap Squier Precision with PJ pickups, and my amp is an Orange Crush Bass 25. I paid the premium for the color lol.

Naked Ears: I play videos through the laptop and the bass through the amp. Thatā€™s it. The monitor is right next to my sheet music, so the tabs and the Josh get simultaneous attention.

Split Ears: Bass amp headphone out, but I put the headphones over one ear and a bluetooth earbud from the laptop in the other ear. It means listening to each instrument in one ear and trying to sync them. I like this approach more than Iā€™d ever expected I would.

Nice Headphones: I run the good headphones out of the amp and use those. I run the laptop into the ampā€™s line-in. It works, but itā€™s a cumbersome setup because I have to have the laptop and amp so close to one another. I could get a longer cable, but enh. This SOUNDS the best, but I like the split-ear setup just fine so I do this more rarely.

I did what @PamPurrs did for years but no more.

I jam with several groups every week and finally decided recently I needed to do something about the thousands of lead sheet I have accumulated over time.

I have an android Samsung Tab A7 with a 10.1" screen.
I spent a lot of time looking for an app to put on the tablet to manage the songs.
The best one I found, thanks to @Fabian, is MobileSheets Pro. I got the paid version but they do have a free version with the only limitation being the limitation to the number of songs you can import.

At first I was just going to use the auto scrolling function in the app but as @John_E mentioned this is not such a great idea. So, I purchased a bluetooth page turner pedal. I got the Yueyinpu bluetooth page turning pedal on Amazon for $40. It seems to be a good quality build and does the job for me.

The tablet, app, and pedal all work flawlessly together.

Now the only trick is importing the lead sheets into the app. Itā€™s not difficult to do but with thousands of songs to import it will take some time. One thing that I like is that if you are at a session and do not have a lead sheet, and some one else does, you can import it into MobileSheets Pro by just taking a picture with the tablets phone. Easy peasy. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Just thought you maybe interested but YMMV

3 Likes

Have improved the set up with a piece of technology. Bought an Alexa plug, so now I just say, ā€œHey Alexa, turn on my bass guitar plugā€ and everything turns on and I am good to go.

2 Likes

Someone somewhere in Amazon is now listening to you practice.

3 Likes

I have a Rumble 15 for an amp, small room. Any bigger and these old walls might start to rebel. I use an Ipad for both B2B lessons and free practice, I link it to Bluetooth sound bar which I meticulously match volume to the bass as best I can.

I mostly use Ultimate Guitar App, the official tracks are (in my opinion) generally accurate, and can have backing tracks that you can easily drop the bass out of. Almost like jamming with the band haha.

2 Likes

Most of my practice is with headphones. Iā€™m generally using my Yamaha THR10X for both guitar and bass. My headphones, laptop and bass are all plugged into the THR.

Iā€™ll then watch whatever instructional video and happily play along in my own little world. When going through B2B this was a great setup for easily using the separate backing tracks and Iā€™ve even had a go jamming along to a U2 song on Spotify.

Iā€™ve also got EZdrummer 3 and Reaper. I mainly use EZdrummer at the moment, just to have a drum beat to practice over but will expand using it for recording this year. Iā€™ll use reaper if I want to record something.

If Iā€™m being more adventerous, Iā€™ll use the plugins I have, but havenā€™t done that in a while.

If I want to sit somewhere different, I find it easiest to use my old iPad and iRig with Garageband. Great to jam along or easily record loops etc. Havenā€™t done this in a while either so might be time as I did a basic bass and guitar piece once and had fun doing it.