Practice setup and preamp advice

It says it simulates 8 guitar amps and 3 bass amps, so I read it as yes it does both

1 Like

that’s all? Seems pretty light on the sims.

Love to see people using the beans. They are just so cute.

1 Like

I’m not that bothered about it not having many sims if the ones it does have are decent

That’s a very good point, and it’s a pain not being able to test these out in stores near me. Thomann have a very good return policy so I might just have to order a few and see how I feel about them in person, to be able to find what sounds right for me.

I’m still unsure how to use the ones without built-in headphone outputs while keeping everything minimal on a tiny pedal board. I asked Thomann about that Behringer MA400 and they said that while I can connect the preamp to it via XLR, because it’s a mic XLR input it would “alter the sound and lose some of the bass”.

I’d steer you clear off that one. It’s gimmicky and the touchscreen is not very responsive. I’ve got a defective one from an authorized dealer, the channels selector kept switching on its own with no warning each time it nearly blew my eardrums out.

Contacted Darkglass, they sent me 2 information 1st is to get an expensive center negative power supply (which I did) and the second was a cut’n’paste from the manual. They are not even trying. I was going to get their amp but why? There are plenty of other companies waiting in line to take my money and in return provide excellent service. I don’t need another “soup Nazi”

Everyone love to shoot the sh!te with you when you tell them their products is a gift from god and a wonderful masterpiece, but when they ignored a defective items is clearly not cool.

1 Like

I don’t use distortion but I do like a couple of preamp pedals. My favorite is definitely the providence dual bass station super clean and super quiet you just have to put the fx pedal in the chain to get going. Though this one has no aux or headphones.

The next one might fit your needs more, Ashdown TonePocket. Built in battery so it can be used without any power supply, you can charge it via power supply or usb. It has aux in and headphones jack super awesome tone. I use it with the dynamic wah and boss gt1b.

1 Like

There is also the Palmer Pocket amp. I think @Paul has one.

Amazon.com: Palmer POCKET AMP BASS Portable Bass Preamp (PEPAMPBASS) : Everything Else

Or the Bass Simplifier which is incredibly versatile.
DSM Humboldt Electronics Simplifier Bass Station Zero Watt Analog Bass Preamp | Sweetwater

Both tick all your boxes.

Edit: You can get some Ampeg like grind from the Simplifier but it doesn’t have distortion. But the Palmer does. Also, changed the Simplifier link.

2 Likes

@Al1885 You’re the first person I’ve come across that reported those problems with the Element. I bought and returned three of them before I gave up and I wasn’t very impressed with their customer service either.

When I was dealing with the Element problems I couldn’t find anything but people singing their praise. Now, the Guitar Center near me has them on clearance for $199 (down from $280). Even at the price I think the money would be better spent on either of the suggestions I made above.

2 Likes

Yeah, great for practice. It has a headphones out. Build like a tank and can run on a battery so you can use it anywhere. The distortion/fuzz is okish, mainly use it for clean. It is also a great backup preamp for that price.

1 Like