Practice

Just signed up after watching some of Josh’s free lessons and I’m loving the experience. I blew through the first three lessons today. But I’m wondering how people are practicing and getting good at those lessons in between. Are you using the “extras” and playing along with the downloadable tracks and sheet music? Or are you repeating the lessons a few times before moving on? Any advice on how to get better would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Welcome, @ricksuvalle. Glad you’re here. Josh has a specific curriculum built in to his course. The first four lessons are very simple, although future success will require you to fully understand them and the techniques he introduces. Soon after those simple lessons…things get increasingly interesting. And challenging. You can play around with learning songs, etc. while you take the course. But you would do well to just go through the lessons as Josh has laid them out. He has a master plan that prepares you for whatever you want to do with a bass. Just keep at it and practice. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Thanks for the quick response! So if I’m understanding you correctly, just keep up with the lessons and basically they will guide me into various practice routines as part of the course, once I’m out of the basics?

5 Likes

Yep, you will very soon have a lot of bass lines to practice (with one being a legendary killer, at first). The tunes, artists, and bands Josh has in store are really diverse and very cool. You’ll be playing lines from some of your likely faves, plus those you might never have considered/liked/heard of before. But the aim is to get you out of your comfort zone so that you are equipped to play virtually anything. So, yeah, just keep at it. Strap up and strap in. Things are about to cook. :+1:

5 Likes

You’ve reminded me, I probably should go back to that one and give it another go! :flushed:

4 Likes

You are about to meet Billie Jean. I recommend reading this before letting yourself get frustrated.
Billie Jean is a Wicked Mistress

Also, if you’re looking for more as you go through the lessons, look here…
BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide

2 Likes

There’s no one fits all, however following the course will get you results, hopefully at some point you’ll figure out what you want from the instrument and what works for you… people here do all kinds of stuff depending on their interest… sticking to it is the key, enjoy

3 Likes

Welcome! I’ve started the course one month ago. What I do is keep going on with the course as soon as I manage to do at least the slow workout of a lesson. I keep revisiting the lessons I couldn’t do in the fast workout everyday until I finish them. I’m currently in module 7. This works for me best✌️

3 Likes

Welcome! As others have stated, there’s no one right way. I myself started the course last yr, then got some other things thrown on my plate and stepped away for a while. Back at it again, just working through it. I find that I do a lesson, try to cement it, then move into the workouts until I’m comfortable then move on. I am also doing fretboard exercises and string crossing exercises as warm ups. I am also working on learning the fretboard, hoping at somepoint it just all falls together… good luck with however you decide.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the responses! So many great ideas. Can’t wait to jump back in today, after I recover from a little too much New Year’s fun last night. :slight_smile:

2 Likes