Preamp for clean sound

Some nice features; pre/post switch on the DI, 4-band EQ, two fixed shelf settings to toggle through, etc.

If you want something like this, have you checked out the EHX Battalion?

3 Likes

The addition of the AUX in and headphone out has been way overdue for Aguilar.

1 Like

Just leaving this here for future reference:

Proper simplicity. Clean sound and no EQ.
Not something I currently want/need, but a nice device.

Another interesting find:

It’s literally the same as a “level” or “gain” knob on any buffered pedal.

1 Like

Another strong contender:

Darkglass Harmonic Booster Clean Bass Preamp

Edit:
I just did a little search on this forum, and Harmonic Booster led me to another similar topic by @John_E

It looks like John was looking for the same thing as I am right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HA!

I ended up with the Darkglass B3K, which I sold and upgraded to a B7K.
I still use it for everything from a quasi clean boost, to just an EQ (I really like its EQ) to all the dirt and grit it’s known for.

But my ultimate solve for this clean business was the Bergantino B|Amp paired with a Fearless 1x12 cab. Oddly enough, I do not use the Berg’s EQ, I don’t like it as much as the B7K. It feels more ‘sterile’ to me - so the B7K is adding something ‘unclean’ but wonderful.

1 Like

And THIS is why you should buy a preamp :rofl:

Seriously, 100%: the advantage of a preamp over an EQ pedal is the color it adds.

3 Likes

Or, if you want multiple “advantages”.
It’s interesting to me when I’m looking for a specific “sound” which one delivers it. It’s not always the one/gear that was on the album, at least to my ears (which is all that matters, lol).

3 Likes

Yeah I went down this path for a while immediately before going full software, when I realized what I actually wanted were amp sims. I was a full on preamp geek for about a year, getting in to tubes, etc.

There is too much choice :slight_smile:

After consideration, some more videos, and some forum members preaching about the need for colouration… I ordered Origin’s DCX Bass with the intent to use it on EQ setting.

3 Likes

Big Origin fan here! Never regretted a pedal from them. I actually forgot they released the DCX. Interested to hear your thoughts!

3 Likes

Agree great company. I love my 2 from them.
Also forgot about that pedal.

2 Likes

There are people who use two of them on one board. One for clean and one for driven sound.

1 Like

Saddly, it was an instant disappointment. It goes back to the shop.
I couldn’t dial anything I like. It is hard to get clean enough sound even on EQ setting.
You need to add drive, otherwise it is very quiet. I was hoping for more headroom on EQ setting. Unfortunately the sound breaks up quite quickly.

1 Like

Try a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes or a Tech21 VT Bass DI. Or the Ampeg SGT-DI.

All add great tone color but are still good for non-overdriven tone.

3 Likes

Too bad, but enough other options!

1 Like

Yeah, I’d love to.
Unfortunately, there is zero availability here in the UK (or in Europe for that matter).

1 Like

Im not entirely surprised by this, but I didn’t want to harsh your fun in case it turned out to be something you liked. The DCX wasn’t designed specifically for bass, it was designed to emulate a vintage audio interface.

Have you looked at their Bass Rig pedals? They have one that is more Fender oriented and one that’s Ampeg oriented that both get incredibly good feedback. @John_E has the Fender based one and there a lot of videos comparing the Ampeg one to the SGT-DI.

@John_E how is the clean sound on your pedal?

1 Like

I did, but as I did not see any switch to disengage the drive I started looking elsewhere. That is why I thought DCX could be an option as it has the switch EQ/Drive.

1 Like