Project Basses

It just seems wrong, doesn’t it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Neck feel is hard to describe. I don’t know any bass player who own just one bass, a minimalist friend of mine who preaches you only need one bass, owns 3, lol.

Jazz neck at 150mm at the neck feels really nice and fast, p bass at 162 feels great and beefy, famous stingray is 167, my neck through is 172. One of the perk of having different bass is fresh feeling when you grab a different basses to play, the same song just feels different.

4 Likes

This is almost literally me :slight_smile:

I always say I want just one, and here I am with two I love and am eyeing a third.

4 Likes

Flats were all the rage at one point, I like rounds for the brightness and lively feel. Now I discovered the nylon strings and I just love them. The only negative is that most single coil’s hum goes away when you touch the strings but with nylon wrap it the mass does not transfer and the hum stays.

4 Likes

Lots of people love flats and nothing wrong with them! But on a Stingray - that’s not the tone I would be looking for :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Soon you’ll be up to half a dozen then you blink and oops it just double, lol. Best and worst thing that happened to me since COVID. I doubled my stable. Worse, I now own 9 Stratocasters I only know how to play 2 songs. Lol.

4 Likes

I was up to three and a six-string at peak :slight_smile:

Trying to go the other way now, failing

3 Likes

Ha Ha, you need to quit your job, or you will end up with them all.

3 Likes

Yeah, I put flats on my Ray34 after getting it PLEK’d. I couldn’t tell if I liked the bass before the Plek, cuz I couldn’t dial in a set up, it needed the plek, but before I took it in, it had rounds on it, my normal slinky’s.
After the Plek, it came home with a set of EB flats, and I just didn’t like the bass, I ended up getting other stingrays, looking for the right one.

I just now picked back up the Ray34 today and started playing it (I still have it listed for sale), and realized, it is not the bass at all, it is the Flats on it.
Now I am afraid to put rounds on it, cuz then I won’t want to sell it, and I need to sell it. more then I need a 3rd Ray I play regularly, I think 2 is enough.
Then again, this is the only one with a Stingray sized neck, and I am strating to appreciate it. I love the Jazz necks on my Ray4 and SLO special, and even on my new P bass, but I am starting to like the string space on the larger neck, so who knows now.
Once the flats are off, I will know for sure, but I am pretty sure that my love / hate relationship with this Ray34 is gonna turn into a love affair once I put rounds on it.

I have a set of new dunlop or something that came with a Pedal package from Amazon, and a set of Slinky’s that I put on a bass, then took them off and sold the bass, so they are still new. Hmmmm. maybe a project tomorrow.

3 Likes

Funny how that works sometime, eh!? :grin: (A set of new strings usually also makes me fall in love with a particular bass all over again!)

5 Likes

I was thinking about selling my TRBX, took off the Hooky strings, popped on a new nut and my fave EXL’s, and then got real sad and haven’t listed it yet :slight_smile:

I really do love that bass

4 Likes

Yeah, I am falling in love with my TRB all over again right now… haven’t played a fiver in a while and there are some “adjustments” to be made, but wow, that tone of that bass and sustain until tomorrow morning… :grin:

And that B string… so good on that bass!!

7 Likes

There is a Squire deluxe active V for sale by me for $320, thinking about swapping my TRBX305 for it. I bought the 305 just to have a 5er and had no idea what I liked/didn’t like, probably still don’t. Nothing wrong with he 305, I just think there are more upgrade/mod possibilities with a straight up active jazz bass than the 305.
String spacing is supposedly huge on this guy though.
And I do like the neck on the TRBX.
I gotta stop looking at sale listings…

4 Likes

I would definitely prefer the TRBX over a Squier. unless you really want a J-bass.

I would think the TRBX would be easier to mod too - it already has a large electronics cavity and the preamp preset selector would be a cool switch slot to use for something.

2 Likes

Yeah I am flip flopping in my mind about this one, which probably means I should just keep the Yammy. I do like the neck on it.
And the Squire is in Brooklyn, which, ain’t an easy thing, haha.

3 Likes

Yeah this isn’t a case of anything being wrong with the Squier, more of a lot being right with the Yamaha :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I read more about the Squire V, it appears that the biggest selling feature is wider string spacing and a mids boost (EDIT: SCOOP) switch, making it an ‘easier’ 5 string slapping machine.

That’s all very nice but not something that speaks to me, but good to know for others maybe.

2 Likes

That’s weird because for slapping you usually want to cut the mids, not boost them. AFAIK most slappers scoop the mids.

2 Likes

I am not a slapper at all, but do slappers really need that B-string??? Maybe for slapping in E to avoid that open string…

1 Like

Sorry, wrote that backwards

2 Likes