Question about thumb placement when playing

Hi, I am new to the bass and have a question about where to place the thumb of my plucking hand when I play. In one of the video’s, Josh mentions to place it on the E string when plucking the A string, but then moving it down to the A string when plucking the D and G strings. This seems a bit more difficult to do than just keeping my thumb on the guitar when plucking the E string and then placing it on the E string when plucking all the other strings. Is it bad to do it this way? (I think there may be a muting issue, but it that a critical problem with this method).

1 Like

Oh- wait! I didn’t see he has a whole vidoe on this. Sorry about that! It is an interesting issue however.

1 Like

Yep, and there a lot of threads about thumb anchoring on the forum. Just click the magnifying glass at the top of the page and do a search. Lots of info about every bass thing under the sun. :sunny:

1 Like

Thumb on string, pickup or floating - there is no wrong technique. I use all 3 methods. Its what feels best for you.

1 Like

Not moving your thumb means you have to do something different when needing to mute to the lower strings to prevent sympathetic ringing.

As you progress, you will start to hear this more and more and will need a solve.
Some think using the thumb is easiest, some prefer their palm, etc.