Question-Effect Pedals

You must have caught us on a bad day… Usually we’d encourage you to go out and buy all the gear you can afford - and then some :joy:

5 Likes

@heart92262 If you ever want to get rid of that Zoom B6 let me know :wink:

3 Likes

That would just defeat the purpose of having all this equipment laying around that I don’t use!
:joy:

3 Likes

I have a Zoom B6 also. I like it a lot. It is easy enough to make simple bank setup. My main bank I use has a clean patch, an overdrive, a sub octave and a fuzz. The next one has a clean, synth, chorus and flanger. There are so many possibilities. The looper and drum machine are a lot of fun too. If you dedicate a good part of a weekend to it you can come up with some fun sounds.

5 Likes

The funny thing is, a couple years ago I sold my Zoom B3n to a local music store, and began populating a pedalboard. Dozens of pedal purchases and a year later, I sold off all my pedals (and the pedalboard), and re-purchased my B3n from the music store for LESS than they had given me for it. :smiley_cat:
All I use nowadays is a Tech21 VTBASS DI, a Polytune 3 tuner, and (occasionally) the Zoom B3n.

6 Likes

That’s fine. It may not be the dirt/grit/drive sound you’re hearing in your head. There are so many options with dirt pedals and there are plenty I don’t care for. Like the Boss ODB-3 doesn’t do it for me. On the other hand, @terb custom modified his ODB-3 and that thing sounds great.

Oh, if you don’t like the dirt you’ve got, we can get non-sensible real quick!

Tech21 Sansamp VT Bass DI Preamp
Darkglass Vintage Microtubes
Ibanez TS9b Bass Tube Screamer

@heart92262 What kind of music does your band play?

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I really like the MXR M89 Bass Overdrive when I hear it on YouTube. Check out this video for instance:

That thing just sounds so fat :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Bass > Tuner > Tech21 VTBASS DI > Audio interface > PC ?

3 Likes

Bass > Tuner > Zoom B3n (with or without effects) > Tech21 VTBASS DI > Audio interface > studio monitors + amp (when desired) + laptop/reaper (when recording)

3 Likes

What studio monitors are you using @PamPurrs? I’m contemplating this option to minimize my rig and have everything contained to a desk. Could they replace a practice amp?

3 Likes

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LP6v2--kali-audio-lp-6-v2-6.5-inch-powered-studio-monitor-black
I use a pair of these. @John_E has them also.

Yes! @howard has done so. I still turn my amp on occasionally, but mostly practice without it,

3 Likes

Nice thanks! I think I’ll be moving in this direction.

3 Likes

Good day, Eric,

We play rock, blues, and a few country/pop songs.

Started goofing around with the Zoom editing software on my computer while I’m supposed to be working. :slight_smile: I’m going to give it a try, but I still think I would prefer analog pedal, but who knows.

Thanks for the suggestions!

3 Likes

I went down a similar route with the HX Stomp. There’s a decent learning curve but you’re rewarded with an almost infinite range of possibilities. I get that digital isn’t for everyone. But the ability for me to try a Ampeg B-15 Flip Top amp for ‘free’ vs paying thousands of dollars for a real one is the reason I went this route.
I was trying to get a slap back sound today. So I dragged in a simple delay pedal into HX Stomp, adjusted the ms delay and mix with my mouse and it sounds better. Total time maybe a minute. No delay pedals were required to be purchased!
There must be B6 tutorials on YT to help you out I’m sure.

6 Likes

I like the stomp stand :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/931211260/hx-stomp-stand-3d-printed

2 Likes

Hi, Barney!

Oh…you have a Beat Buddy, I love mine! :slight_smile:

I am sure you are correct; it is a matter of taking the time to learn to use it and feeling comfortable with using while playing with a band without it slowing us down because I am mucking around with a multi-effects pedal. They really sound so different when playing in a mix versus practicing at home.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

1 Like

I think for playing out / gigs from the forums I’ve been reading the idea is to create a patch that you like that fits the song / songs and then you can drag / drop them on your computer to all be together in one area on your B6.

So say you have an SVT sound, a Fender Bassman sound and a Synth patch. You group them together and then toggle between them at the gig to get the preset you want. You don’t want to be scrolling through 48 patches to get to the one you want at a gig.

I’m not familiar with the B6 but the principle of creating a ‘playlist’ of patches applies.

2 Likes

Hey, Mike,

I just watched that video last night. Love those guys, if only I could play as well as them!

Agreed, the MRX M89 sounds pretty good! I happen to have a MRX M87 compressor. So, they would match :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi, pau1rose,

I’m going to dedicate some time and dig into the Zoom.

It is a lot of fun to play around with all the effects, although many are not practical, they sound very cool!

I think if I take a less is more approach, that may fill the need and, as stated, by creating only a few patches, that should help in a band scenario to not get frustrated with it. :crazy_face:

Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes