Ray4 pickup height?

I need some suggestions on a new challenge with these pick ups.

I added new foam to the cavity and it worked to bring the pickups bounce back.

The issue I’m having is that the E string side is perfectly parallel but when I go to adjust the G side it’s higher on the back side of either pick up and lower on the front. By a few mm.

It’s not settling parallel on that side. Not sure what that’s happening or why they wouldn’t make that side two screws like the other.

The only way to kind of adjust it is by bringing either the front or back side of the pickup higher or lower on the E side but then that side isn’t parallel either so it’s a compromise.

Any suggestion?

1 Like

Try backing off all the screws and starting again but turn each one a small amount so the whole pickup moves down more evenly. You may have gotten it all knotted up. Also, many times the screws are not in straight and will bind up a pickup.

2 Likes

Thanks John, I’ll try that.

Update: It didn’t work.

The front side of the G PU just starts to dive compared to its back. May have to pull it out and add an extra bit of foam in that corner.

Update to the update: It seems to be working. I’m dialing one screw at a time slowly, and dialing the other back as needed. It’s like a balancing act but I think it’s working.

2 Likes

I have never had a problem changing strings until I recent; dod two basses that both had flat wounds on them. When I changed to round wounds, it took about a week to 10 days for th neck to settle right. when I first pulled off th flats, and put on th rounds and did a set up, it was great., no problem at all, I was happy wih the bass.
Then, I picked I up the next day, and thy were all dead ringers, like seriously dead. plucking open strings just buzzed a bit. so I didd some adjustments nd got I back where I wanted it an was happy again, until I picked it back up th next day and It was dead again.
I did this over and over for a little over a week when the neck finally settled and stayed set th way I wanted it.
So
I got another bass the ha flats on I for over a year, an when I took them of, I put therounds on it, and I did a quick set up, then let it sit, expecting that it would move again, an it did. this one I was expecting it from th start, so I didn’t mind tha it took a week or so before I could set it like I want it an forget about it.
But hat ha ben my experience with las. I don’t like plying them much, but every bas I et that ha hm on iy, I know know its gonna be a week or two before its really ready or me to get it set Right th way I wan it set.

I never hd ht problem going from round to rounds, but th two Tims I took flats of, it was defiantly an issue, it was not my imagination.
I think it is jus cuz the flats have more tension o the , o thy. pulling on think more, o when it I release, it one’s quite know which way to go.

Hs nobody else got from flats to rounds and noticed this. And I don’ mn if you hd flats on a bass fo a couple weeks then went to rounds, if it was a bas yay had las on iy go Lon Imo poor o replacing hm with rounds??

2 Likes