Reaper Love

Thanks, it’s funny even after all this time I’ve been using Reaper how much I don’t know about it.

2 Likes

“Want a free DAW? AVID have you covered with Pro Tools First, but - much like the bass player in your band - it comes with a lot of handicaps.”

Glenn Frickin’ Fricker hamming it up on Reaper vs. Pro Tools.
Worth a watch IMO.

4 Likes

Interesting! I’m happy with Reaper. The price of Pro Tools is ridiculously expensive for someone at my level.
Glenn is such a hoot!

2 Likes

… and not better in any way at all!

1 Like

That’s the funny part - it really isn’t :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Literally LOLed at the “iLok is super useful!” section.

I mean, you can’t get away from iLok once you get serious about buying plugins, but man. Literally everyone hates it.

2 Likes

iLok looks & feels super outdated. Glenn should be a sales person :rofl:

2 Likes

I got Pro Tools First with my Focusrite Scarlett, and because I remembered back when NIN released their multitracks, they explicity had a Pro Tools project in there, I decided that will be what I will be using.

Because of the godawful DRM they are using, the program started exactly one time and never again. So I can’t say anything about its UI.

Since then, I tried Reaper, which does from a sound perspective exactly what it is supposed to do. But it has a godawful userinterface. I suppose Pro Tools probably got them on that, but well, if I can’t even start the program …

I will go on using Reaper, as I will maybe one day know my way around the UI, but for now, it really is some kind of struggle even to remember where I have to click to set the input for a track (might take some time as I only use it once in a few weeks).

1 Like

Try a different theme?

https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Themes

2 Likes

Ah, thanks. Just went into Reaper, and without downloading any theme, I switched from Default to Default_5.0, and there it is, input for each track directly on the screen.
Why that isn’t the default is beyond me. I guess they want to be able to fit on smaller screens easily. Finding where to switch the input indeed was my biggest struggle just yesterday.

But a good UI should work out of the box, not require any theming. But well, also: any program that has many features is not so easy to understand as a first time user, that is just the nature of the matter. And a good UI also isn’t cheap to create, so I should stop complaining. $60 is a very low price for what you are getting.

3 Likes

Default is the newer 6.0 theme and I agree it’s worse than the default 5.0 theme :slight_smile:

1 Like