Recording a bass cover

I was wondering what the easiest way is to make a bass cover song for YT? I do have an iRig and I was thinking I’d use an aux cable from my PC to my amp for the actual song, and then the iRig from the amp to my iphone for the video. I used to do that for drum covers so I’m asking if it would work the same way for the bass? Thanks :smiley:

5 Likes

Check out this topic (might take you a while):

4 Likes

@Lanny used to use an iRig. He might be able to help.

2 Likes

Still use an iRig2 at times… I never use an amp when recording covers though… When I use my 1Rig, I plug my bass directly into the iRig, the iRig plugs into my iPad, and I use headphones that plug into the iRig.

5 Likes

I have a dedicated laptop in my music room that is permanently connected to my DAI (Zoom U-44) which in turn is connected to my amp. With my bass plugged into the DAI, I am able to play the song (with bass removed) on Reaper while recording the bass overlay. The result is two audio tracks in Reaper: one with the song and the other with my bass overlay, which I then export as an MP3 and place in Premier Pro to edit the final video. I don’t use the audio track from the video recording device (smart phone etc.), as the quality is not nearly as good as the direct connection to the DAI.
I’ve noticed some Buzzers record their covers while wearing headphones, but I prefer not to.
You can do the same setup, except you would be substituting my Zoom U-44 with your IRig and Reaper with whichever DAW you use.

2 Likes

How do you bring in the song you’re playing along with?

2 Likes

I drop the song in as a track much the same way I do when I record using my MacBook Pro… My iPad also has Garage Band on it so I use it since it allows me to easily swap music files between the Mac and the iPad…

3 Likes

I don’t have a macbook pro. Just my iphone.

4 Likes