Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

hi @akos,
if your having trouble with trying to complete your recordings, I’m sure i will be able to help you with this.
I use Garage band, photo booth to record, and iMovie to finish the mixing etc.
Let me know what your having trouble with.
cheers Brian

4 Likes

Yeah what you need is called a “Loopback” feature which is practically adding what comes out of the PC back to recording. Only more expensive units have this on the Focusrite devices.

If you could devise a way to connect the Laptop jack (or better PC Lineout) to the Microphone input of scarlet. It would take a lot of reducing of signal strength and Focusrite says “OH NO YOU DON’T” soo all a theory.

This would be the needed cable but you have to get the line out level very very low and maybe no gain at all in the mic input. Because Scarlet has the mic preamp
XLR to 1/8 Cable

Closest thing I have ever did was connecting the lineout of my amp (XLR Male Balanced) to the Scarlett Mic Input using an XLR-XLR cable. I had to get the volume of the output %50 and gain on scarlet very low but it worked.

Additional shred of experience Focusrite products have great resale value :D, I sold my Solo for %80 of what I paid for it in under 1 week.

3 Likes

Thanks Brian, I’ll let you know next time I run into issues

2 Likes

Yep, that was my plan as well, and as you too have pointed out, it’s not recommended by FocusRite. And even if I could get it working, it would be mono.

There are software loopbacks available for Mac, but I didn’t like any of them.

2 Likes

Most operating systems will have some kind of loopback capability to allow you to record the desktop audio out directly into a DAW. In, of course, stereo. One example:

1 Like

Just discussed this in a different thread and I added a summary:

3 Likes

Just read the whole thread, what a wealth of knowldege and experience you have all shared…thanks.

My 1st DIA, think I’m going for the Zoom U-44.

I’ve gone for a different tack on the excuses; I’ve mentioned a puppy and the new a String Ray HH this week, so I think I’ll get off lightly when the U-44 turns up :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Ps GAS = ??

4 Likes

Good choice, that’s the one I have and it works fine.

Gear Acquisition Syndrom

5 Likes

@wayoutenator I moved your request about hum over to this thread. What Roland device did you get and how do you have it connected?

1 Like

Hey there - I 'm thinking about dipping my toe in the water with an audio interface (there’s a good deal on a behringer in a shop found the corner) but my laptop 's a few years old (5th gen i5, 12 GB) - do you think this may be a problem when recording / mixing?

4 Likes

I’m not really into recording, but I think you shouldn’t need too much firepower to get things to work :wink:
Here’s a nice video about setting up a home studio:

7 Likes

Depends on the DAW you choose. I’d look for a simple one like Reaper and check the specs it needs. Abelton might have issues on a cpu that old etc.

5 Likes

@Krescht @John_E Thanks guys :+1: :grinning: :+1:

5 Likes

I bought a Behringer BD21 a good few months ago now and I’m ashamed to say that it’s still sat in its box next to the other pedals I binged on then.
I funnily enough have thought about dusting it off very recently but still get “frightened off” with all the tech stuff. I really must try harder ( my grade teachers were maybe right after all :joy:)

3 Likes

Well, at least I use my pedals and DAI as I mostly play through my headphones… From there to recording however… Tried it once and couldn’t be bothered to go any further :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah it’s really tempting to splurge on new gear! I really don’t have any real need to buy one but “maybe some time in the future …” :wink:

4 Likes

Oh I really tumbled down the pedal rabbit hole @Ed
Think I’ve 3 distortion pedals, reverb pedal,chorus pedal, and a few others I can’t remember :joy:

4 Likes

Ed,
I think the interface will work with older machines.—as long as it has USB and runs the software.

Mine works on a 15+ year old Dell laptop, and a 10 year old MacBook Air.

7 Likes

I am about to jump down the rabbit hole of self recording. Which of these bundles would you guys suggest and why? Andy Rice at Sweetwater sent me these in response to my question about getting started recording. Also, how are you recording video?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?item1=AudioBox25Stu&item2=ScarSStuG3&item3=UM2usbBun1&item4=EVOSRB

none, you dont need a microphone to record bass, just an XLR or instrument out from your amp.
mic recording of a bass is not really practical and adds a LOT of complexity you don’t need.

and I dislike ‘bundles’ in general vs. buying good stuff of each type of thing.

nothing wrong with the focusrite for sure, not familiar with the others.
I believe they fixed the clipping issue in the 3rd generation - @Koldunya - didn’t you discover this?

4 Likes