Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

There actually is a story about that involving China, centralized production, and Uli Behringer being very smart. I’ll try and dig it up but the gist is Behringer moved all operations to China and run a large factory there making everything for their stuff on site. Behringer has simply made themselves a niche where they can cheaply make reasonably high quality gear and sell it at inexpensive prices.

Selling inexpensive clones of more expensive gear is literally their main business now. And their stuff is really good in general.

One example we talk about here is the Behringer BDI-21, a $35 perfect soundalike for the original $180 SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

Their Roland XoX knockoffs are other good examples, they sound and perform just like the classics at a tiny fraction of the new Roland remakes. They are recording into a UMC-202 DAI in this one too, BTW :slight_smile:

They have been making a killing at this, and his parent company is buying up competitors as well and rolling them into his empire. For example, TC Electronics is now owned by them as well.

2 Likes

I saw a YouTube about how he moved to China and is making knock offs of everything.
Do you know if they make a knock off of the Zoom U-24 or U-44?

1 Like

No idea. And to be fair to them not ALL of their stuff is knockoffs. They are just very, very good at making knockoffs.

1 Like

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2/2, but the recording software that came with it is not user friendly. I want to be able to just hit record, not go through several menus to start a new track, then hit record. It’s tucked away in a drawer for now. Recently I’ve just been plugging into my Tascam and transferring that to my PC.

1 Like

Have you tried something like Audacity for recording? It should work fine and it’s easy to use.

1 Like

You don’t have to buy from China if you produce in China.
Makes sense.

Now I’m even more convinced. I just ordered the UMC 404HD, they don’t have it available right now. Delivery in 1-2 weeks, approximately 15.05.

@satxfreddy
I know it’s kind of hard to keep those two topics apart, because the software is sold together with the DAI and to a certain extend it might even influence a buying decision and it is simply necessary to have a DAW. I also value your input as you obviously have one of the mentioned DAIs. It’s all good, but if the discussion about DAW goes further, please take it to: What's your favorite DAW?
I want to keep it as clean and dedicated to hardware as possible.

2 Likes

Just did and smh… I thought that Focusrite was just going to be a paperweight. In just 10 minutes I was able to download, change some settings and make a quick recording.

Also means I have to find all my cables to set up my devices up so I can get my drum tracks going back through my amp for play along again. I’ll also have to see how/if that works with the wireless devices I’m using on the bass/amp.

But thank you! I can’t believe it was really that easy. Now to “git gud” at bass so I actually have a reason to record!

3 Likes

@satxfreddy I’m glad you got it sorted!

1 Like

I’d say that’s a good choice, especially if you plan on using all those inputs. It would be a bit much for my needs though…

However, I’m seriously thinking of cancelling my order for the Zoom U-24 and instead order the Behringer U-204HD, which has more features with a lower price.

1 Like

I don’t really plan on using all those inputs, but I want the MIDI I/O. Otherwise I’d opt for a smaller model.
Might be that I need 2 maaaaaaaaaaybe 3 inputs in the foreseeable future, but it’s less about bass recording and more about doing setups together with the audiophile friend I got.

I think he is more excited about my purchase than I am :smiley:

1 Like

The U 204 has MIDI… just sayin’
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer/U-PHORIA-UMC204HD-1428935660220.gc

1 Like

Now I have to decide.
40€ less or 2 weeks earlier? Estimated delivery is 3-4 instead of 1-2 weeks.
Still can cancel the order without losing anything.
The reasonable thing to do would be to switch to the 204HD, but monkey brain wants things fast. It was the only reason why I opted for the 404 so yes. Yes, I should.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I should add the 204HD or even replace the 202HD with the 204HD in the comparison.

One advantage Zoom has over the other DAI I haven’t mentioned in the summary is the portability and iOS compability, but that’s not even remotely interesting to me. Both parts.

Edit: It was just 26€ difference after I actually calculated it and not used 80 and 120 for that. Also either I’m a bit stupid right now or thomann online shop doesn’t have a button for canceling an order… So either I have to trust it will be cancelled and order the other one now or I have to wait even longer.

2 Likes

Nor to me… in fact, I find the portability aspect a bit of a negative. My U-22 is like a piece of plastic in my hand, it feels like a Mattel toy. I imagine the U-24 is similar.
I ordered the Behringer UMC204HD. It’s on back order also, but I can wait.

2 Likes

Actually the U-24 seems pretty rugged to me. It’s made to be thrown into a gig bag and dragged with you to rehearsals and so on. Haven’t tried a U-22 myself to compare though.

This will be the first time I have ever heard of someone buying Behringer because they think it will be MORE rugged than something :slight_smile:

I like the brand a lot but their stuff is definitely not known for taking a beating. That said, a desktop DAI doesn’t need to.

Also, my TC Nether, which is based on a Behringer, is built like a tank. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Look into a Focusrite Scarlett.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input.
The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is already in the overview (see here: Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup - #37 by juli0r) and I’ve written in the summary that if one only wants to record bass and nothing else one input is enough.

Sorry for the seemingly stupid question, but I have to ask… why would you need your DAI at a rehearsal? I haven’t been in that space yet, so perhaps there are things I don’t know about the goings-on at rehearsals.

2 Likes

Grab a laptop or ipad and a DAI and you can record sessions while practicing, maybe jam something out. Though granted the U-44 would be more useful for that with 4 ins. They share the same body more or less though. It’s like a little mixer in that regard.

You could also use it like a mixer and run everyone in to it and run its outs to a single amp/sound system. As long as where you are practicing with the band has one then no one needs to bring an amp. This is actually pretty common here (though I’ve never done it). Even karaoke places rent their rooms to jam in, and you use the karaoke sound system as your PA.

3 Likes

Oops. Sorry, I should have read closer. Didn’t mean to clutter the inbox. Good luck to you.

3 Likes

@Howard, you did it again… your words of wisdom have caused me to make another decision.

I cancelled my order for the Behringer DAI and ordered the Zoom U-44. I found a place that had 2 in stock, and they even did a price match and knocked the price down $40.00. They say I should have it this Sunday.
I’ve never done business with these guys before, I hope they do what they promised.

3 Likes