Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

Time for an email to Peavey. I believe there may be a mistake in the manual. The specs do indeed call out balanced outputs for both the effects send and the DI output. However, the block diagram shows pin 3 on the XLR and the ring on the TRS connector to be grounded through a resistor rather than driven with the negative output of the opamp stage.

It doesn’t specify the level of the effects send. If it really is balanced it may not be at the full +4dBu to avoid overdriving the next pedal.

If it’s not really balanced, you will still be able to lift the shield on one end because it will get ground reference through the ring connection.

5 Likes

It could be that the “balanced” reference in the spec means a balanced connector, a TRS, even though the signal is not being driven with both positive and negative. This is a good one.

4 Likes

How can a two-conductor cable be balanced?

2 Likes

Is this question for me? If so, in what context?

3 Likes

Wow, thanks @howard. This works! Brilliant! Much cleaner setup this way.

@Marcel The reason I want the drum machine to go through the amp, is that when I go on a jam with friends, and the drum machine is needed, I don’t have to drag along a set of speakers in addition to the amp.

5 Likes

Ummm @howard one problem with this setup that I just discovered…

When I kick on the overdrive (or any effects on the amp), it affects the drum machine as well as the bass. I don’t think that’s something I want, or if it matters that much. I’ll practice with it for awhile and see.

I may have to revert to the alternate setup.

5 Likes

if it is only the drum machine on a road trip , i would plug it into the aux in

5 Likes

There’s also at least a guitar at input 3 of the DAI so it can be played with the same amp.

3 Likes

Yes - I am wondering how the effects send can be balanced it it is a normal TRS cable. The idea kind of boggled my mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, yeah - it’s all going through the preamp if you do this.

I’d recommend following what Marcel suggested.

4 Likes

Ah yes, perfect. The 1/4” TRS connector has 3 conductors, the tip, ring and sleeve. Normally we use 1/4” TS connectors for pedals with tip and sleeve. If you use a TRS cable in a TS jack it’s almost never a problem. The ring part of the connector doesn’t make contact and just gets ignored. The signal then becomes unbalanced on the tip only with the ground on the sleeve.

Headphones use TRS connectors, but differently. A headphone connector is stereo unbalanced with the signals being left, right and ground. This is why TRS connectors get called both “balanced” and “stereo” connectors. The thing you can’t do is plug a stereo TRS to two RCA unbalanced into a balanced jack. This won’t separate stereo, but will put the positive on one RCA and the negative on the other.

Although we always only use 3 wires for balanced connections, only two are actually used for driving the balanced input itself. The third wire is the shield around the two wires doing the work. It needs to get the noise it picks up as an antenna drained to ground at either end. If you connected just two wires to positive and negative it would function fine and would be more susceptible to noise.

5 Likes

still wondering if you can do that test, “short” send and return with a TRS cable
if no sound your return connector is broken

6 Likes

The return works fine, I’ve used it for other purposes. It just doesn’t work in this scenario.

You mentioned TRS cable. Are you saying it wont work with a mono cable?

4 Likes

should work with both
strange that your u44 does not work on it
had you tried main out to return?
should be same as line out, but with adjustable volume (remember to turn it down)

5 Likes

Yeah, it works that way. I’ve switched this cabling setup around so many times, my head is now spinning LOL

4 Likes

so that one solved than

if you want to record really recommend use the XLR and dont feed back your U44 in the amp
if you wanna play around, connect the U44 to return but no XLR, keep in mind @howard’s remarks about synths, waveforms and signal levels, in order not to fry your speaker

5 Likes

Not sure it’s really solved, I may have changed cabling a few times, but I’m still not sure it’s perfect.

My U-44 has two functions…

On a day to day basis, it provides a way to plug more than one source into my amp, IE: Bass and drum machine… plus my guitar or anyone who jams with me. I use the drum machine everyday for my practice sessions.

The other function is for recording, which of course is what the device is
intended for in the first place.

Therefore, I keep the connection at all times, and am just seeking the most appropriate method.

2 Likes

You have to do a concession somewhere, you also can record with the u44 plugged into the return, but you will not have the characteristics of your rumble.
If you do want this, you need to use the XLR.

You have a nice setup with minimal gear.
If you get GAS a second DAI will solve your issues :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Or a mixer, which is kind of what she’s using the DAI for here.

Many mixers also have built-in DAIs. Zoom makes a few nice looking ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aaaahhhh no! Don’t start us all down the path of multiple DAI’s, I’m not sure about others on here, but I’ve just about managed to get it clear in my head how to connect up everything I’ve just bought (rumble 100, Scarlett interface etc) and ordered every cable I might need.
If you tell me two DAI’s are the way to go, it has implications for my sanity and bank balance (and possibly my marriage too if my wife sees any more Amazon deliveries…)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edit:
I see this

My partner see this:

8 Likes