Recording Hardware "Beginner" Setup

As long as the signal is just going in one direction it should be ok. It’s a little odd to use the effects loop this way but it’s working for you.

I personally wouldn’t do this for the reasons I described above, but given what Dave mentioned I think this is at least safe to do the way you are doing it.

3 Likes

I think all of this was answered earlier in the thread. I can’t answer for @PamPurrs DAI, but for various reasons using the FX_Send proved to be the better option for me. I don’t have to buy monitors now or use headphones to record if I don’t want to. You can avoid feedback loops by careful setting of the DAI paths in the control software.

5 Likes

The only thing that gets lost when using the FX send to the DAI instead of the XLR to the DAI is the Fender Cab sim, as was pointed out by @Marcel. Otherwise, there’s no problem using an FX send as a line level out.

The way to make up for this would be to use a cab sim plugin on the bass channel in the DAW.

5 Likes

All this discussion has helped me figure out what I’m doing. Inspired by @Mark_UK I sketched up how I think it’s going to plug together. I don’t quite have all this yet, but it is the master plan and I have enough to get going with recording.

7 Likes

Hey @DaveT, shall we let the others start a betting odds chart on who will blow something up first, you or me?
:joy::joy::joy:
Personally I don’t fancy my chances of making it to the weekend without some killer feedback taking out my new amp :grin:

8 Likes

Awesome! Electronics run on smoke. Don’t let it out!!!

8 Likes

I’ve always treated small fires in the lab as good learning exercises. That’s what I tell myself.
Many years ago as a trainee, I wired up a system’s ribbon cable with connections inverted, and fried two boxes of a speech recogniser system due to be installed by the Air Force the next day for evaluation. We’re talking real smoke.
Any cock-ups in my career after that always felt minor by comparison…

8 Likes

Damn, now I have to create a diagram lol…

6 Likes

Here ya go @PamPurrs… Take your pick…

8 Likes

I have three choices of setups that seem to work, some better than others:

(1) Plug everything (bass, drum machine, guitar, etc.) directly into the DAI (Zoom U-44), then connect a “Line out” from the DAI to the Rumble 100. This works, but I’m not altogether pleased with the sound quality.

(2) Plug the bass directly into the Rumble 100 input, then XLR out to input #1 of the DAI. This works, but I can’t use the amp for the drum machine or other instruments that are connected to the DAI. The drum machine is basically muted with this setup unless I want to connect external speakers.

(3) Plug the bass directly into the Rumble 100 input, then Effects Loop send into input #1 of the DAI. With this setup, I’m able to connect the Line Out (RCA jacks) from the DAI to the Aux input of the Rumble 100. I’m able to hear the drum machine (Input #2 of the DAI) and anything that I plug into the other inputs. Basically, the only things that are feeding back to the amp via the AUX connection are what I have connected to inputs 2, 3, and 4 of the DAI.

Setup (3) has proven to be my best option. I’ve had it setup this way for several months with no problem.

4 Likes

This is all very technical for me, I have been plugging my bass into the dai, then into the computer with the videos I’ve posted.
I reckon they sound good?, would they sound better if I added pedals Into the mix ?
Some feedback from the tech gurus would be appreciated.
Cheers in advance.
Brian

6 Likes

Me too. Although having the active bass with EQ makes a difference and without it I might want to have at least a virtual EQ.

I do too. But having mentioned the virtual EQ - depending on your DAW you can add effects to your playing without having to buy pedals. The quality might be better from pedals but you can get a feel for what changes and you can experiment without making a purchase commitment which is ideal in my opinion.

Not one of them though. At least not for music :wink:

3 Likes

Brian, what do you use to record the video? I think the quality of your covers are great.

3 Likes

Hi @JerryP,
I plug my bass straight into dai, dai into garageband to record audio.
I record video straight into photo booth running parallel to audio.
I did initially record the audio and then the video, but it’s difficult to sync both together in iMovie, so now I do it all together, shoot video and audio straight into GB and photo booth at the same time.
I mix both together in iMovie to create videos.
I’ve Used @Lanny process to get it down pat, I’ve not mastered it but i am improving my process to try and get it as good as I can.
I am more than happy to try and assist you in getting it right, it’s why we are all here, to grow and enjoy the music we hear and play along to.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Have you ever tried Quicktime to record the video?

3 Likes

Hi @JerryP,
No I haven’t tried that.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@JerryP - I have used QT to record and it’s quite simple. Somewhat easier to use than Photo Booth and saves the recordings directly to desktop instead of inside the app. Video quality in QT is similar, export options are simple, options within the app are a bit more limited than Photo Booth. The one thing I do like about Photo Booth when making video recordings is that I have a counter that is useful and gives me some time to set up before the actual recording starts. I guess it’s all in what you’re use to using…

6 Likes

I love your videos and I think the tone of the bass, and your playing!, sounds really nice. I’ve played some of them more than once because they are so fun to listen to.

The only thing I hear from a technical standpoint if you wanted it to be recording studio clean is a low level hum that can be most easily be heard right at the beginning of I Can’t Tell You Why. You can hear it on some of the rests too.

What DAI are you using?

3 Likes

I just got back from seven weeks on the road so I’m going to jump heavy into this video recording thing. My boys gave me $100 worth of gift cards to GC that has been burning a hole in my pocket so tomorrow it’s off to the store to pickup the Focusrite 2i2. I hope that’s all I walk out of the store with. :worried:

5 Likes

Good luck with the purchase and fight the GAS!
But if you lose your battle, tell us what extra you picked up!

3 Likes