Recording Software

I went ahead and got Reaper myself and if you copy the license as it says in the email, BEFORE you run the program, it’ll automatically import it into the program.

2 Likes

Bandlab’s Cakewalk is another good free one.

Another vote for Audacity when it comes to free software. Since it seems to be the most popular recorder along with Garageband, you’ll find tons of help, tutorials and more to make using it much easier.

1 Like

There’s also Ardour and Lmms which are free.

2 Likes

Strongly recommend against Audacity if you plan to do anything serious beyond simple recording. It’s a good simple recorder and audio file editor but it is NOT a DAW, and is really severely limited, both in features and workflow. A better free choice would be Ardour.

I’d recommend Reaper. However - to really record well you are going to need to buy an Audio Interface. And all of the Audio Interfaces I know of come with a free license for the “Lite” version of one or more DAWs. So I would say don’t stress too much about the software yet until you get the audio interface squared away.

I’d recommend picking up a decent inexpensive audio interface and seeing what licenses came with it.

There’s a lot to choose from; here’s a random sample list of some of the inexpensive ones:

Out of that list the Focusrite stands out to me as a safe choice; really the only one on there I wouldn’t consider is the iRig, and that’s just due to price vs what you get - it’s at kind of a weirdly high price point for how it compares feature-wise. A couple of the bundled software bundles stand out there too; the Focusrite and Native Instruments (which will also be high quality) both come with a lot.

4 Likes

Might want to check this thread out

1 Like

Agreed. Absolutely. It will make a world of difference IMO.

Also agreed with one exception: Behringer Interfaces come without a license for a DAW.

I ended up with a Behringer DAI and Reaper as DAW and I am very satisfied with this combination.

1 Like

Already have my eye on the Focusrite, thanks!

3 Likes

In that case you’re set for recording software - it comes with free licenses for two DAWs and a lot of other stuff. Of what it comes with I would recommend Ableton Live Lite. That’s all you’ll need to get started recording.

3 Likes

Another option to Focusrite is the AudioBox from PreSonus. I mention this because it came with a license for Studio One Artist (what I mess around with), and Ableton Live Lite (didn’t like the feel). So you get everything you need with one purchase.
PreSonus AudioBox

Studio One will also let you use plugins if you choose to go down that path as well. Although most other options worth considering should also do the same.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s true across the line, but my Behringer UMC204HD came with a license for Tracktion Waveform. I haven’t done much with it yet, but it appears to be a pretty full featured DAW. There is even a Linux version. :smiley:

1 Like

Part of the value in it is getting Amplitube which is worth about half the cost and it often goes on sale for about $20 off the regular price. As a portable interface it’s great and Amplitube is very good for regular practice and playing to backing tracks. It’s got pedals, amps, cabs, a looper, 8 track recorder, tuner… pretty much everything and it’s quick/easy to use. Amplitube 4 was better than 5 for bass though, you need to get 5 max to get the good bass stuff.

1 Like

I have Amplitube 5 Max with the Axe DAI. I use this most the time. I even sold my amps and most pedals as it covers a lot of ground. Right now 5 (not Max) is on sale and if you are patient the SVT and Fender packs come up for sale at least once a year. Most of the time over 50% off.

I also have a Focurite 2i2 which I use for a portable rig. Works great with Amplitude and works with the iPad Pro. At the moment Amplitube for iOS is on sale and now includes bass amps and pedals.

1 Like

Amplitube is great for sure. I don’t own it but have seriously considered it in the past. I don’t need it now (I have it covered with other products) but it is a great deal for what you get.

1 Like

I usually record stuff in amplitube and then drag it into reaper later. I’m doing a couple of SBL courses right now and the 8 track recorder is great for playing to the backing tracks and you can slow stuff down as far as 0.5x.

Lots of different ways work :slight_smile: that just happens to be what’s on the PC in my livingroom where i usually practice and all my other software is on a couple of laptops. I usually do the fun stuff at Starbucks but most of our stores are empty right now and restaurants can’t get enough supplies to stay open so i might have to “work” at home :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have 5 max, i still use 4 because i have sounds i like on there and i can’t be bothered to switch to 5 :joy: I have so much stuff i bought on sales last year that i haven’t even tried yet lol

Yeah for sure - I know people that often record into GarageBand on an iPad and export for loading into DAWs later. Just because the iPad is easier for them to lug to band practice than a computer.

1 Like

+1 Presonus Studio One 5

I really enjoy these 1 minutes howto

Im sure most of these things can be done with others DAW. But it will show case the workflow with Studio One.

I also found this very amusing

2 Likes

I ended up buying the Presonus Studio 24C and got the Studio One software with it…haven’t played with it yet though.

2 Likes

There’s lots you’ll be happy with around that price if you hurry you’ll probably still find some pretty great deals! I use the irig 2 and garage band and I never expected that it would sound so good. I can’t imagine what the state of the art models sound like! I paid 50 and my recordings sound just like Alice in chains or tool.

Ebm7: also you should not aim much lower that 150 either like look at audient, presonis, motu or focusrite, or m audio if you don’t need to transport it all the time cuz they have a delicate feel to them