Recording yo'self

The Scarletts are simple and good quality and while not the cheapest are not out of line either. They are a solid choice.

I wouldn’t recommend music editing on any mobile device, period. That said, millions of people do it, for some reason.

3 Likes

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Scarletts. If I wasn’t firmly entrenched in my Zoom U-44 would consider going that direction.
I no nothing about Garage Band, but I have heard lots of scary tales about it. I bath myself in Apple product repellent daily, so I can’t comment much about Macs either. Good luck in your quest!

7 Likes

Garage Band on macs is fantastic for a free product. Basically, Logic Lite. Kind of like the relationship between iMovie and Final Cut.

1 Like

I was amazed at all the stuff you get in garage band. I’ve never used it for anything but it looks pretty good :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It does a lot to make itself very easy to use. Comes with a small but decent set of amp sims and effects too.

And the drummers are a cool idea for incorporating drum tracks easily and quickly (if you are not trying to be exacting).

You’d run in to its limits and want to upgrade quickly for real music production but for recording covers it would be absolutely fine.

2 Likes

Check out this thread as well:

3 Likes

My recording equipment totals around £100. A Behringer and FL mobile.

1 Like

I may ask to borrow some of yours, Pam, if Apple ever produce something that I would consider worthwhile buying ;). Luckily, Apple have their own native repellent.

4 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I have the go mixer pro, it’s very easy to use. Recoded the kids at school jamming the new version is better and at the same price.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GOMIXERPROX--roland-gomixer-pro-audio-mixer-for-smartphones

2 Likes

I love my iPhone and iPad but despise our mac.

3 Likes

I love all Apple products except their mice, which really really suck. Their laptops are best in class though (despite the premium cost) and the displays on their iMacs are phenomenal.

And iPhones are just great devices, especially for audio, compared with their competitors.

My only pet peeve with Apple products is their perennial reduction in upgradeability over time. But that’s how you get to super-thin aluminum laptops. It’s a tradeoff.

2 Likes

I have the go mixer pro also. For self recordings find this the EZ way to go. Usually one or two takes done. I have M-audio interface, and Reaper, Mixcraft software for audio recording.

2 Likes

I’m not an apple fan at all but iOS devices are magnitudes better for music than Android and you just can’t beat the MBA M1 for price, speed and battery life in a small/light package.

1 Like

Yeah we are really liking our M1 mini.

1 Like

My 2cents…jyst started. Focusrite scarlet was a no brainer to set up. For DAW, I tried Ableton lite, protools, cakewalk, and reaper. Reaper was the only one I could figure out, as i am stubborn and didn’t want to watch tutorials. Reaper takes up very little space and recording covers is as simple as importing the backing track and then creating a new blank track to record on, then rendering them together.

If i can do it. So can u

4 Likes

and ReEQ is amazingly good ReEQ is a free plugin so good, it’s a reason to use REAPER – and it keeps getting better

1 Like

Yeah some of the stock Reaper plugins are actually quite good. And many Reaper users don’t even know they exist, because they don’t expect Reaper to have any.

2 Likes

The only complaint i have is the UI is boring on most of them :smiley: but they’re all really good, even ReaTune does a good job of tuning vocals. I watched Reaper Mania and Hop Pole Studios a lot when started using Reaper.

2 Likes

Yeah their UI is… kind of nonexistent for most, but there’s a lot of stuff bundled in there.

1 Like