Regarding the Post your Covers thread

I have to do it for the sax bits as there is no good way I have found to do this otherwise, you can’t have the backing track playing in the background of course.

Other sax guys either make a backing track with a click track intro that is easier to eyeball or they record the video ala faking it with a backing track on and then record the sax part in the DAW. Cheaters!

3 Likes

You can also just clap your hands at the start to get a nice transient and edit that out of the video. That’s the old school way.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I do, a redneck clapboard LOL

4 Likes

Are you still liking Resolve? I think I’m going to try to learn a video editor and don’t want to learn more than one.

3 Likes

I love Resolve. I started out with the free one, and soon after upgraded to the paid version. I no longer have to pay the monthly extortion to Adobe.

3 Likes

OK, then it’s time. I finally have to concede that my fast typing skills no longer qualify as media production. Someone recently linked to their housewarming video that could have been on MTV (when it was music videos). This is ridiculous. It’s like I don’t know how to talk.

2 Likes

Do it @DaveT.

Casey Ferris on YouTube is all you need for free resolve how tos.

It’s really a great package. I’m still using the free version as I haven’t come across a feature I need in the paid version.

Only thing is it’s a beast of a computer hog. Make sure you have the power needed.

3 Likes

And Jason Yadlovski. I actually like Jason better than Casey.

True that. I upgraded my laptop from 8 gb RAM to 32 gb just for Resolve. The paid version does manage resources better, in addition to some extra effects, and other stuff. It was definitely worth the money to me.

2 Likes

I’m running i7-8700, 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM

Apparently that’s minimum for this effort. We will see what happens.

3 Likes

16 gb should work. The only reason I went for 32 gb is because I figured if I was going to go through the effort of opening up my laptop, I might as well go for the max amount of RAM, which is 32 gb.

3 Likes

I still have 2 memory slots free and I can still get the ones that are in there doubling to 32 for $85. Seems not bad.

3 Likes

Oh yeah forgot about him. He’s really good too

3 Likes

Hi BazzBuzzers. I’m about to buy the hardware and software needed to join you all in this fantastic hobby/obsession! I’ve read and noted all you comments and advice…many thanks.

Hmm glad to see computer power came up. My PC is seven years old, I bought the best i could afford at the time. i7-4800, 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM. So it seems I will fall short and need to beef up the RAM. Is 2.7GHz powerful enough for Resolve?

Also, looking at the Zoom U-44, described on the site I’m look at as a ‘mobile phone audio interface’. But I’m guessing I can use it with other devices? (sorry of question seems dumb, I am, literally, totally new to all this). I won’t be using my mobile phone for any part of the process. I have a good camera so will capture video using that.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Sorry for the typos…need more coffee :laughing:

4 Likes

Here are the minimum specs for Resolve.

For starters, you need to upgrade your RAM to at least 16gb, but 32 would be even better. You also need 2 or more gb of VRAM on your video card for Resolve to run smoothly.

4 Likes

I have never plugged a mobile phone into my U-44 or the U-22 that I had previously, I’ve never even heard of doing that (but I guess you can). Basically, you plug your bass into one of the inputs, and connect your laptop via the USB interface. Your laptop would have a DAW installed on it for recording (in my case, Reaper). Again, I don’t know how you would do it with a cell phone.

3 Likes

OK Pam that’s good to know. Once again nice to hear from someone who has been down this road and figured it out. Thanks again. I’ll get the Zoom U-44.

Getting the memory RAM should be easy enough. Need to check my video card now! Worth getting it all right at the start.

4 Likes

Prior to last year, my PC was 14 years old, and I had ‘upgraded’ everything I could possibly upgrade to the max over the years. I finally took the plunge and bought a PC specifically for audio/video editing. It wasn’t cheap but so glad I did. It was the missing piece for doing this rather smoothly.

Hopefully you can upgrade yours to work, however, you might want to tally the upgrades and compare to something new instead before you spend a lot of money.

4 Likes

That’s a good point John. I did buy this one with the idea to upgrade it over time, as I got fed up with having to buy a new PC every so many years and old ones just become extra junk (though there are some uses of older PCs, as HD storage, and another hobby of mine is amateur science, they can be used as data recorders). But this was a top of the range business laptop at the time, about $US2,000, so I have to weigh that up, cost of new vs cost of old + upgrades, as you say.

5 Likes

Some are certainly more upgradable than others, etc.
I good video card will go far for sure.
Good luck!

PS ya my 14 year old one cost about $2000 then, and my new one…the same!

3 Likes