Regret not starting sooner

I just recently bought my first bass from a pawn shop about 6 months ago and I certainly do not regret the decision. I do however regret starting with guitar instead of bass when I was a teen, I have played guitar for over 30 years and decided to learn the bass when I started dabbling in home recording as I did not want to deal with loops as I want original content in my mixes. I fell in love with the instrument as soon as I started playing with it in the store. The tome was do sweet. As being OCD about my instruments as I am. I upgraded the tuners, nut, pickups, bridge, and pots as well as ditching all the active junk in it. Since then I have even traded my Fender American Pro Strat for a Gibson Les Paul Money Bass which is an amazing instrument. Absolutely love the tone of Half wound and flat wound strings. Rock On.

12 Likes

That’s awesome. Welcome to the family holding down the low end. What a great way to start. Since you play guitars for so long it would take some adjustment to bass and taking the control of the band, lol.

6 Likes

A therapist once told me something, when I regretted not doing something sooner; it stuck with me a lot more than the usual “can’t rewind time” stuff that’s usually said. She said something along the lines of “You weren’t ready then.” Simple, to the point, and more true than we might think.

So, you weren’t ready then, but you are now :slight_smile:

13 Likes

@mcmoon03
Welcome to the forum.

I took a similar path just over a year ago and have enjoyed the time spent with the Bass.

Hopefully you are taking the Beginner To Badass course. There is no risk with the money back guarantee.
You should find the transition from guitar to bass fairly easy.

Don’t forget to introduce yourself here Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Good Luck and all the best :+1: :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

That’s a really great truism. I too wasn’t ready to learn an instrument in my 30s. I am now because I’m more patient. However I also don’t regret all the skiing, climbing etc I did then.

6 Likes

Welcome, @mcmoon03 – I’m another one who put significant time into guitar without giving the bass a fighting chance for years and years. But yeah – both instruments are so utterly compatible when it comes to learning, you’ll be transferring skills from one to the other for years to come. I’m confident I’m a better guitarist because of playing bass and vice-versa. I’m sure it’ll be the same for you!

4 Likes

So so so so so true.
However, I would have liked someone to tell me what I should consider getting ready for, as I was pretty much only ready for drinking, playing pool/darts and general uselessness.

5 Likes

Welcome, @mcmoon03. Glad you’re with us. Thump on, man!

3 Likes

I wish I had been told how to make money vs just getting a job. lol. But I’m approaching that now, too. Now is the time :smiley:

4 Likes

I would say that It works for a person whose regret is pointed at the missing experiences more than on the point of self inadequacy at the time, at any time. We can’t forget that there’s quite a big part of the population who have this characteristic of self-sabotaging masochism which skews “You were not ready then.” from a relieving end to things, to “You were not ready then” to the very point of regret. I just wanted to mention this one.

3 Likes

Welcome @mcmoon03 ! Really glad you’re here! Many of us here picked up the bass later in life. I did it at 50 with zero musical experience.
Only thing i regret is all the years i didn’t get to play.

If i could offer a suggestion? It’s always nice if you head over the introduce yourself thread and meet the community. Really great people here.

3 Likes