"remove" the bass line from a track

So, for those who may be interrested, here is the final result with the album bass track replaced by mine.

I shot a video showing my best bass face, @JoshFossgreen would have been proud of me :joy: but Youtube decided to block the video for copyright reasons :roll_eyes: so I can’t show more than the audio track.

The audio chain is : Fender Precision > Dod FX84 > Line6 TonePort UX1 (with POD Farm and two B15 models in parallel, one set up clean and the other one in light crunch), recorded and mixed with Reaper.
By the way this modest cover has been an opportunity to test/use my new compressor for the first time, I’m pretty happy with it.

the song is Gacked On Anger by Amyl and The Sniffers.

4 Likes

Holy cow.
This band name and song title seem like something a comedy writing team would come up with as a joke.
I love it. So much.
And - great job using the tools to make the bass cover happen. Very cool to see/hear it all come together.

3 Likes

they say about themselves : “In Australia we call poppers Amyl. So you sniff it, it lasts for 30 seconds and then you have a headache - and that’s what we’re like!” it made me laught a lot :joy:

4 Likes

@terb Dude. That. Is. AWESOME! :metal:

2 Likes

You mean sidechain compression? If so, to my knowledge that only makes sense in certain styles, like in house music where you want that “pumping” sound. Otherwise it would make the bass transients feel weird when it hits with the kick. I think? Anybody with real engineering knowledge disagree?

Also, nice playing!

2 Likes

I don’t know the name, as you see it’s easy to reach the limits of my knowledge too !

thank you very much !

3 Likes

Can you do this same thing with Transcribe software? I thought there’s a setting in that program where you can remove the bass.

1 Like

You can sorta “remove the bass” by using the EQ tool, but you’ll also be removing anything else that lives in the frequencies you’re cutting (like drums). It definitely has its uses though.

I’m really curious about this:

It’s a “source separation tool” that uses some kinda fancy-ass algorithms stuff to pull voices/instruments from recordings. It seems pretty amazing, haven’t tried it personally though. Anyone tried it?

4 Likes

that’s mind blowing ! :dizzy_face: seems incredibly more efficient than what we do with EQs !

2 Likes

Nice… but, really for pros only, considering the price-tag alone :wink:

2 Likes

@terb Would this also work on Audacity? How about Transcribe?

2 Likes

yes @PamPurrs it would work on Audacity, and on every DAW with an EQ filter (which is the most standard effect you could imagine). I don’t know Transcribe at all but if it’s a DAW it must have an EQ !

3 Likes

Lots of Bassless tracks on spotify

Paul

5 Likes

Well, okay then…

1 Like

Well, I made a video ahem and I am having difficulty uploading. I am using MacBook Pro, and old one. I think I’m not good at computer stuff, but it appears I need to convert my files into a different format to post it here. I used Photo Booth to take the ahem video HAK ahem Phooey! Anyway, I wanted to do a recital so those who are interested in seeing what a “Beginner to Badass” student can do on week 13. (I started the challenge Mid-November, did every single exercise for the 30 Day Challenge.) After that, I found a handful of bass lines that I really enjoyed. I decided to focus on two that I became very passionate about. I play an average of 2 hours a day 8 days a week, but I have to force myself to stop and rest like a warrior. I was going to play for you Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb,” I am wearing a Floyd shirt, but I could not play to save my life, so I decided to play Dire Straights “Sultans of Swing” and thought, “Well, I need to start somewhere.” This recital is a documentary for “B2B Week 13 Ninja Style.” I really want to show my teacher, @JoshFossgreen, what I can do since he last “saw me” (virtually speaking, of course) at the end of the challenge. @terb?

2 Likes

You can’t upload videos directly, @HannahWalker - those file types are not supported. You need to upload your video to some repository and then post a link to that repository here.

The easiest would probably be to start your own YouTube channel and upload there, then post the link here. But, perhaps there are even “simpler” solutions…

Good luck!

3 Likes

OMG! Nooooo! I do have a channel, but that is not how I imagined I was going to “break out.” (Oddly, I have a dozen or more subs.)

What the blimey heck is a repository? And who would go there, in all honesty? Not I. Boo, hoo, hoooooooo. Well then. I will have to gird my loins, or girdle would be more accurate.

5 Likes

Hehe, just a fancy word for a place where you can store a file and link to it… and you don’t need to “go” there, the link should embed the file (video here) directly here in the forum… so no “going” involved :grin:

Will people start checking your YT channel nevertheless? Sure, probably… so maybe you want to start a new one just for your Badass videos? And make it private?? By invitation only… (meaning: this crowd here)!

3 Likes

You know, I’m really laughing! The people who subbed are mostly people from the “conspiracy theorist family,” people who might hear me on a podcast and think I am somebody, so, Really, I’m actually crying with laughter at this moment.

2 Likes

Oh, so repository, as it were is not a place

2 Likes