"remove" the bass line from a track

:joy: :open_mouth: :scream:

:clap:

6 Likes

yeah maybe, I don’t know really how RX8 does its magic anyway :grin:

for now I’ve always managed to get something acceptable with my EQing but sometimes it’s complicated, like several parametric EQ filters with automations to change the parameters during the song : that’s what I’m doing for my current cover. it’s interesting but it takes a lot of time, and I’m pretty sure that RX8 would perform way better automatically with its advanced algorithms.

4 Likes

Time is money :dollar: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Yeah, I am sure RX8 is awesome. Izotope’s mastering plugins are really highly regarded.

3 Likes

Sometimes you can find deals on pre-owned licenses for music software over on the KVR buy sell forums as well.

3 Likes

I can’t even fathom selling my RX7 license, even if I completely quit playing bass and recording covers. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to recoup the expense. To me, the $300 is money spent. I’ve spent that much and more on dinner and drinks at restaurants… when the money’s spent, it’s spent.

1 Like

I have a license for Melodyne sitting around. It’s supposed to be able to nudge pitch or duration of parts after they are mixed together. Has anyone tried selecting notes in Melodyne and deleting them entirely?

4 Likes

I use Melodyne daily. It’s awesome (and necessary for me, my pitch is about a half semitone off :slight_smile: ).

Yes, you can delete notes. I use it to delete sibilants. I have only used it on individual tracks though, not a master bus or on something already mixed.

4 Likes

Doesn’t work on garageband :slightly_frowning_face:

What doesn’t work on Garageband?

Izotope. According to their faqs.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030483514-Using-iZotope-plug-ins-in-Apple-GarageBand

1 Like

I think you’re thinking of the plugin. I have the freestanding software for the PC (I think they make it for the Mac also) which simply does it’s job (remove bass, isolate bass, etc.) and doesn’t care what DAW you ultimately import it into. When the bass is removed, it’s removed… period.

1 Like

:thinking:

I was not aware of this

:grin::+1:

1 Like

@itsratso

1 Like

Right now, if you have bought literally anything else on Plugin Boutique, you can get a heavily discounted deal - $199 or so - on an iZotope bundle that contains Ozone, Neutron and Nectar. This version of Ozone looks like it comes with Master Rebalance.

These are top tier mastering plugins, I am tempted by them myself, especially Neutron. Nectar comes with Melodyne as well, which is usually $99 on its own.

The way they describe the Master Rebalance in Ozone Advanced, it sounds similar to as in RX8, but in the Ozone plugin:

• Master Rebalance: Now you can adjust the levels of vocals and other instruments in a stereo audio file, letting you solve balance issues without needing the original stems.

Might be worth checking out. I have no idea if it is the same rebalance or not but it certainly sounds similar.

Ozone is a standalone app as well as a plugin. Details here:

I guess the question is how much Master Rebalance would let you cut or boost.

1 Like

I just bought Ozone 9 and Neutron 3 Standard in a bundle, after trialing them. iZotope’s mixing and mastering plugins are outstanding; the AI analysis of the track worked pretty well as a starting point for me.

These don’t have the Master Rebalance function (that’s in Advanced) but that’s not what I was after; I am mostly just mentioning this if anyone is considering picking up iZotope’s stuff; it’s just good in general.

Not cheap but not unreasonable on sale.

4 Likes

So I did this yesterday because I wanted to verify I was singing the correct notes in a song. Basically I recoded a live version of the song I found on YouTube which had much higher mixed vocals than usual, then Melodyned the resulting track.

The vocals stood out pretty well and this worked for my simple analysis.

The other parts were in there too, but were much more of a noisy jumble. I think it might be tough to work with for manual deletion, hard to say though.

Also, I feel less bad about my pitch now after seeing what others look like without processing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I mentioned this app (Moises) on the covers thread. Maybe not quite as good as RX8, but free and “close enough for rock n’ roll”:

10 Likes

There are several “AI” applications to separate music tracks, most of them are based on the Deezer Spleeter open source project. https://splitter.ai/ is free and has a 5 stem model that works pretty well.

6 Likes

Wait! It’s on sale!

only $799, price slashed from $1199.

3 Likes