Repeating Lessons

I’ve seen many people here talk about going back to lessons. This is a great thing. I’m a brand new bass player, so as I watch each lesson I ask my self what is the concept Josh is teaching and did I understand it. As long as that answer is yes, I move on to next lesson. But it is a good reminder to go back sometimes. Workouts you skipped because you got the concept but couldn’t do fast (or medium) last time, go back to a few lessons later and you may be pleasantly surprised at your progress. I was doing this last night and I still miss notes in Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag going fast (and medium), but I was much better and I crushed the other lessons I went back to. Another thing I find helpful, each time Josh introduces a pattern, I add it to a practice arsenal to build my fingers. So each day I try to do scales, the walking octave line, the 12 bar blues and the 5th/octave exercise.

10 Likes

The first time I went through the course, I was often SO focused on learning the slow, medium, and fast workouts that I lost sight of the concept(s) that Josh was trying to get across for each lesson. :blush: :roll_eyes:

So you’re off on the right track, @jazmo1999 . . . :wink:

4 Likes

I plan on completing the course with tab and then going back through it ONLY with sheet music from Module 5 (start of sheet music) onwards . I think this will work well for me, but we’ll see. Currently half way through the course the first time around.

5 Likes

That’s an awesome goal. I’ve been using only TAB so far but plan on using the sheet music more to get used to the notes on paper and the fretboard.

2 Likes

I plan to re-do the entire course in the future. don’t know when, don’t know really why … just to see what could happen :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve gone back and rewatched isolated lessons - the last few modules are a gold mine.

4 Likes

I go back to lessons occasionally, partly to review specific topics that I’m interested in, but mainly because I miss Josh so much.

5 Likes

Same here… Im a perfectionist and have to force myself to move on by making a promise I will come back latter if Im not nailing the medium or slow workout!

7 Likes

Sounds to me like @JoshFossgreen needs to hold a live, week long music camp! I would definitely pay for live lessons with Josh! Maybe Josh can snooker @Gio in to be a guest teacher :slight_smile:

6 Likes

No snookering necessary here!

4 Likes

Why don’t we just set one up, and after we have everything in place, we can just tell Josh and Gio where they need to be, and when. :rofl:

6 Likes

You know that you can pay for live lessons with Josh, right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I did not! Thanks for that.

But I was also thinking it would be cool to meet other students. My wife did a class for metalworking out in N. California awhile back and that gave me the idea that I half kidded Josh about.

4 Likes

To write your bass lines over the no-bass extended audio tracks, I believe. :slight_smile:

:heart_eyes:

That would be really fun! And a huge undertaking! We’ll see what the future holds. :yum:

7 Likes

Maybe even just a weekend Bass camp, if it were close enough I would come to that. I have been thru the course twice and am halfway thru the third time. Need less distractions.

3 Likes

I completed the course a few months ago and find I regularly go back to various lessons, either to review or because I’ve kinda forgotten things. I also like to check out Josh’s other lessons on YouTube.

5 Likes