Right hand wrist arch

I was also a bit wary about what you refer to as “free floating” when I first adopted the floating thumb technique a year ago. However, a strange thing happened that I wasn’t expecting. I was delighted to discover, after a period of time, that my right hand automatically follows my left hand as if they’re attached by a string. If I move my fretting hand from the G string to the E string, for example, I don’t even have to think about raising my right arm and going to the the E string, it just goes there automatically.
I don’t know how this happened, but it happened and I love it.

4 Likes

Hi skerpelman and welcome! Like you I started about 3-4 weeks ago and had a similar issue. I experimented with different positions and finally settled on a spot where I can reach the fingerboard comfortably with my left hand, and my right wrist is in a more neutral position.

I’m right handed and I set the curve of the bass on my left leg; holding the neck in a somewhat upright position. I found this to be the most comfortable all around.

Just keep trying different things like that and you’ll find a happy medium. Cheers!

2 Likes

@Kopusetic
I also found that moving the curves of the bass over my left knee helped in regard to my right hand placement when I began this journey with my cheapo Fender p copy . Since moving to the SR650 my “style “( or lack of it) has changed again and I’m holding the bass like I would normally hold a guitar and have my right thumb anchored on or around the neck pickup.

1 Like