RIP Joe Dierkes (@Jazzbass19)

Oh, gads, I am so sorry to hear that. Cancer fucking sucks.

Were it me - and it probably will be one day, given my family history - I would surround myself with the things that made me happy. If budget would allow, my bed would be surrounded by wall to wall basses and amps and toys and games and stupid Pop Vinyl figures and I’d have Lord of the Rings and Star Wars movies playing on multiple big-screen TVs with multiple surround-sound systems. I would enjoy the fuck out of the time I had left.

So… that’s my advice. Get the Ric. As Bryan Adams once said, play it until your fingers bleed.

12 Likes

Oh gads! As in Steve? That’s awesome. I’m stealing it.

That’s an awesome idea! I’d put on and earplug and top it with the shooting headphones and do the Marty Mcfly all day, I betcha you’ll get the tingling sensation where nobody thought possible, lol.

6 Likes

Like I’m sure many here, I’m come from a family that has a 100 mortality rate and 80% of it is effing cancer.

@Jazzbass19 I’m newer here and we haven’t interacted much but I’m glad to be part of a community that helped see you through in this season. Blessings on your son and daughter in law for hosting you. I know not everyone is the praying type here but I sure am. It’s never too late for a miracle if that’s His will.

If anybody asks “What did Joe play?”

A bloody Rick.

8 Likes

I can relate, thankfully my prognosis is better. YOU want a Rick. Get it. End of Story

Just don’t expect me to call you Rickbass19

11 Likes

Well this is an easy bass to name.

Meet Joe everyone….

If it inspired you it shall be named for you sir @Jazzbass19 Joe.

22 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear this, Joe. The amazing thing is the outpouring of love from this community that I have just read. Go for it and get the Rick. You were here when I first arrived almost three years ago and have always given me encouragement to continue.

Jerry

10 Likes

I feel the call of my Jazz today think I’m going to play it

9 Likes

@Jazzbass19 is there a particular type or style of Rick you are looking for? Color? Model?Maybe we can search around for you and help you find one? The only Ric I saw available on Sweetwaters pages was a 5 string?

4 Likes

It might be gone by now . . . It’s ok, they’re ordering more later on . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Joe, thank you for sharing with us. You are in my prayers. As others have said I greatly appreciate your thoughtful and encouraging posts. You have helped make this one of the friendliest places on the internet.
As for the Ric, I see that GC shows the 4 string MapleGlo and the JetGlo both in in stock. There’s also this beauty in Reverb.
NEW 2022 Rickenbacker 4003FG Fireglo 4-String Bass 4003 | OHSCase 686 https://reverb.com/item/51843892?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=51843892

8 Likes

Hey Joe, however it pans out I hope it’s as pain free as can be. Having been party to a few of these protracted goodbyes over the years, I always think Marc Mahon’s sentiments about dying are how I’d like to go out.
'I don’t think I’m afraid to die. I’d prefer it happens quickly. Like the transition, I’d like my last words to be something like, “Wait, what?”
:heart:

8 Likes

Joe @Jazzbass19, thank you for your good humor, kindness, and grace. You have enriched and enlivened this forum, and we are all in your debt. Good to hear you have the blessings of your family close right now; just remember we are all with you too.

7 Likes

I’m lost for words. This was not what I was hoping to return to. I’m so sorry to hear this.

6 Likes

Gosh Joe, I had no idea about any of this. When I’m scanning through this forum’s posts, I always stop and read yours because you have so much to offer and have helped me immensely with the questions I’ve had here. Thank you for that.

As for the Rickenbacker, do yourself a favor and get it because we all know you deserve it, even if it’s only for all you’ve contributed to this forum.

Please post a photo of yourself with your new Rick as soon as you get it!

8 Likes

As my first bass was a jazz bass, I always paid more attention to your posts…but now I see you’ve enjoyed a Wrangler too? :v:

And I think it’s a crack up that you’re in these forums asking for advice on whether or not you should buy another bass…

5 Likes

So sorry to hear this, I to have lost way too many family and friends to cancer.
I also have no answer on what you should do, other than I would get a Ric or whatever would make me happy.

6 Likes

@Jazzbass19

As @itsratso puts it “Dooooo eeeeet!”

Having had my Dad leave us way too early through cancer, I can’t even begin to imagine being on the other side of that equation. You’re a braver soul than I.

Hang on, make sure your family is close and get the Rick. Motorhead the hell out of cancer.

All the best, peace of mind and rock’n’roll from America’s Hat.

7 Likes

Very sorry to read all this Joe. As others have said, I’ve enjoyed your posts and greatly appreciate your contributions to the forum. I wish you all the best. Sounds like you’ve already beaten the Drs estimations, so just keep doin’ that… Your grace, courage and strength are inspirational.

If the Ric would bring you joy - don’t think twice. Enjoy the time you have left.

8 Likes

@Jazzbass19, so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I admire your courage and grace in dealing with all of this, and I will be really sad to see you go. Having said that, you are still here now, and you may be here for a long time still. Who knows? You wouldn’t be the first one to outlive their doctor’s expectations for quite some time.

So, if you have the money for it and you don’t need it for anything else, go get that Rick. You won’t be able to take that money with you, so if you can use it to make yourself happy, I think you should do it. And I think this extends to all of us: each and every one of us may only have a few more months or years to live. There is no way of knowing. So if there’s something you want to do that makes you happy, do it. Don’t wait until a doctor tells you you are running out of time.

12 Likes

Joe I am another Joe on the forum that doesn’t post much but enjoys reading everyone else’s advice. I just wanted to say thanks for the advice you have given because it has helped me several times and thanks for any future advice. Like most people that have posted above I have some advice for you. Feed the soul. It can be as simple as drinking a favorite cup of coffee or watching the birds at the feeder. In most cases here it is thumping on our basses. With everything that happens to us in life we sometimes we loose sight of doing the things that bring us some joy. Just remember you are still in the life part of our journey through time. If the Ric will feed the soul then do it.

8 Likes