Seeking opinions on home equipment!

I don’t own one but have heard good things, and they seem fine to me. And like most Behringer gear, if it ends up being flimsy and breaking, it’s no big deal because you can just buy another one and still have spent less than a competing product.

1 Like

@skydvr I don’t have any experience with it myself, but I’d say that, with a 16-bit 48 kHz D/A converter, the sound quality may be lacking somewhat… You might want to look at a slightly more expensive model that should offer better sound quality, such as this one (24-bit/192 kHz):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc202hd-usb-audio-interface

2 Likes

Starting to feel like I got a really good deal on my Zoom U-24 for the equivalent of $99. No idea why the price went up on those so much. Nice interface, though.

edit: that must be the export price difference - still ~$99 here, but $150 on Sweetwater.

1 Like

@Mike_NL - very helpful detail - thanks!

1 Like

@skydvr I have one of these and am quite satisfied with it. I am also a beginner at home recording and didn’t want to spend a lot of money, at least not until I have some idea what I’m doing. The Behringer UM2 is about the cheapest audio interface available. Behringer has created a niche for cheap copies of more expensive interfaces, pedals, etc. that usually work pretty well.

You get a plastic case instead of metal, but it is still solid enough for home use. You get 16-bit/48kHz a/d conversion, but I’m just using it to record myself playing to backing tracks and so far this hasn’t been an issue.

My setup is a Zoom B1FOUR multi-effects pedal running into the UM2 and I use Audacity for mixing/editing. Audacity has limited features but so far has been adequate for my needs, although eventually I’ll probably upgrade to Reaper.

I also use this with headphones for 95% of my practicing. I can’t remember the last time I turned on my amplifier.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what led me to finally sell my amp. No regrets.

2 Likes

@skydvr well, according to @spidey9 it’s not a bad piece of kit, so take my comments with a grain of salt :slightly_smiling_face: I did read some reviews from people saying that they had trouble installing the necessary USB device drivers, but I don’t know if that’s still an issue.

@howard I hardly ever use my amp (a Fender Rumble 15) either, but every now and then my family wants to hear me play something, and I can’t have them all wear headphones :grin:

3 Likes

24 bit is useful (or 32 ; it doesn’t make a big difference but it’s useful to have more than 16 bit) ; 192 kHz is way less useful and it does not really garantee the sound quality. The DAC quality (components, circuitry) is way more important than the numbers, in my opinion. but it doesn’t mean that you need a crazy expensive DAI.

same : I didn’t bought another amp after selling my Ampeg last year. I will eventually get one sooner or later because I’m an amp geek, but I definitly can live without an amp.

5 Likes

It’s €85 over here, which is about $102,50. Tariffs, maybe?

1 Like

Could be tarriffs, yeah.

I use my studio monitors for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s nice to see more people with these kinds of setups, in a lot of places I’ve looked the conversation always seem to be focused on having the biggest combo/cabs possible even just for a home setup - which obviously doesn’t suit everyone!

2 Likes

Frankly, at this point amp+cab sims simply sound better than miked amps for recording, at least IMO. And are much, much more versatile.

1 Like

yes. amps are fun AF, but not the best option for studio recording anymore.

1 Like

If your thinking of using ableton and have plenty of questions this free course berklee do might help… Although it may be overkill…

I really enjoyed it, will probably do it again.

They also did a intro to music production but it doesnt look like they do it now. That would been really handy for you.

3 Likes