Selling a Combo Amp Conundrum

Hello all, I have a question. I have an old 2007 Ashdown Mag 300 15" which I like but the gf wants me to downsize lol. If I sell the combo I wont get very much and people have sold the amp head for almost the same amount as the combo. Should I sell the amp head in a new enclosure and keep the speaker? We also have a cat who hates the material of the amp. should I remove the black furry material and swap it with a smooth Tolex and keep the 15" speaker in storage for when I need it? Sorry if this does not make sense and I am rambling lol. I’ll add a poll for more focus.

What to do with an Old Combo Amp
  • Sell Entire Combo Amp
  • Take Amp head and make a modular cab for smaller set up to have modular speaker.

0 voters

3 Likes

Send the gf packin’ (make sure she takes the cat)!
:rofl:

7 Likes

It is a form of downsizing :slight_smile:

Unless you want another project I’d be tempted to just sell it and buy something else later. Especially if the intent is to downsize as the cab is the biggest part. But I am pretty draconian about getting rid of unused gear.

2 Likes

Hey Howard! ATM I don’t mind a project. I started it today and will pick up a handle for the amp and show a pic this week, If I can sell it separate I will go with a smaller Class d amp. and do my 15 inch project re-Tolexing lol. The reason I would get rid of the amp head is the the DI is not balanced, I would prefer to not have a pedal board so the class d I get would have a compressor or a pedal option like a tonehammer 350 or a microtubes 500v2. Also I would like a headphone jack incase I travel and can use that as my headphone amp and sell my vox headphone amp.

3 Likes

Cool. Sounds like a keeper then if you don’t mind the tolexing.

2 Likes

Well I followed the advice and sold the combo, I guess we will have to wait so I can post in the GAS thread lol. Thanks to the commenters n voters.

2 Likes