Setup Resource

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource for learning how to do your own setups. Seems like a fun thing to learn during the pandemic. I really want to learn. But I want to learn correctly. Can someone point me to a book or something? Thanks.
Gregg

6 Likes

Here’s a good start…

5 Likes

+1 vote for the video @PamPurrs recommended, and another good one by the same guy:

7 Likes
7 Likes

Thanks @DaveT. That’s the best truss rod video I’ve ever seen. Saving it!

8 Likes

I followed John Carothers 4 videos . Here’s the first one.

3 Likes

Good videos, I used Marcelo’s videos to start with. But if I may steal this topic (I have not found any other regarding setu-up problems)
I set up my bass twice now and I still think the strings are too high but they also ring on higher frets. :-/

And since I am doing the 5-step technique workout by Josh regulary it’s very unpleasent.

3 Likes

This method works excellent, Probably one of the most comprehensive hotels. If you follow this won’t go wrong I have used it myself …

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Akronman66

3 Likes

Are you getting the buzz on the higher notes (up the neck, towards the body) or on lower notes, down the neck (towards the nut / headstock).

Just asking to try and understand where the problem might be.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Akronman66

3 Likes

Thank you :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Def. up the neck but if I plug really hard also down the neck a tiny bit, but only on the G string.

3 Likes

I find it is really easy to adjust for buzz, or flat sound, on notes way up the neck, like between the 15th and 20th fret. it usually just takes a slight tweak on the screw in the bridge saddle. do this while the bass is in playing position, so while you are playing it.
With this small of an adjustment, I often find I don’t have to re-tune afterwards. Just turn a little bit until you get a good note ringing true and then run up and. down and test them all, and you are good to go.

Adjustments down the neck near the nut, 1-3rd frets can be trickier, either you need to raise the action substantially, or you may need to check the truss bar adjustment again.
All that said, I live with a little buzzing in that area, I feel it adds character to my bass, and when I dig in up there and play with grit, it resonates thru the neck this way.

A little buzz there, not much. And in all actuality, if I play a nice clean note, fretted just right, right on top of the fret to just behind it, I get a nice clean note, it is only when I am playing with some aggression that the fret buzz will kick in. Anything more then this would not be acceptable to me, and I would adjust it until I got it just right.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot my friend, I will try this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks😁

2 Likes

Having just gone through this over the weekend for the first time, I really appreciated all the links you guys posted – they were all super helpful and congealed into a mass of information that I absorbed.

Having said that, I found this guy’s methodical step by step approach very easy to follow and this was the one I had on in the background while I was making all the modifications:

Four videos, first one is kind of fluffy about changing strings, but then he goes through the motions of everything minus nut action. He gets very methodical about tuning and re-tuning after every step and while I’m not sure if it’s strictly necessary I found it very comforting to be meticulous.

6 Likes