Setup Resource

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource for learning how to do your own setups. Seems like a fun thing to learn during the pandemic. I really want to learn. But I want to learn correctly. Can someone point me to a book or something? Thanks.
Gregg

6 Likes

Here’s a good start…

5 Likes

+1 vote for the video @PamPurrs recommended, and another good one by the same guy:

7 Likes
7 Likes

Thanks @DaveT. That’s the best truss rod video I’ve ever seen. Saving it!

8 Likes

I followed John Carothers 4 videos . Here’s the first one.

3 Likes

Good videos, I used Marcelo’s videos to start with. But if I may steal this topic (I have not found any other regarding setu-up problems)
I set up my bass twice now and I still think the strings are too high but they also ring on higher frets. :-/

And since I am doing the 5-step technique workout by Josh regulary it’s very unpleasent.

3 Likes

This method works excellent, Probably one of the most comprehensive hotels. If you follow this won’t go wrong I have used it myself …

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Akronman66

3 Likes

Are you getting the buzz on the higher notes (up the neck, towards the body) or on lower notes, down the neck (towards the nut / headstock).

Just asking to try and understand where the problem might be.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Akronman66

3 Likes

Thank you :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Def. up the neck but if I plug really hard also down the neck a tiny bit, but only on the G string.

3 Likes

I find it is really easy to adjust for buzz, or flat sound, on notes way up the neck, like between the 15th and 20th fret. it usually just takes a slight tweak on the screw in the bridge saddle. do this while the bass is in playing position, so while you are playing it.
With this small of an adjustment, I often find I don’t have to re-tune afterwards. Just turn a little bit until you get a good note ringing true and then run up and. down and test them all, and you are good to go.

Adjustments down the neck near the nut, 1-3rd frets can be trickier, either you need to raise the action substantially, or you may need to check the truss bar adjustment again.
All that said, I live with a little buzzing in that area, I feel it adds character to my bass, and when I dig in up there and play with grit, it resonates thru the neck this way.

A little buzz there, not much. And in all actuality, if I play a nice clean note, fretted just right, right on top of the fret to just behind it, I get a nice clean note, it is only when I am playing with some aggression that the fret buzz will kick in. Anything more then this would not be acceptable to me, and I would adjust it until I got it just right.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot my friend, I will try this :slight_smile:

3 Likes