"Share some good music" Friday

I’m almost sure I did not post this yet (but not 100% sure), I hope it’s not a repost ! here is some pretty nice post-rock/shoegaze with a SansAmp BDDI (same circuitry and sound as the BDI21 we always talk about :grin: ) :

and a song from the last Cult Of Luna album, which is great as always (sludgy post-metal) :

and two great songs of DVNE played live (psychedelic/progressive stoner) :

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

What an interesting guy. I went from this video to looking up his other work and fell into a YouTube hole watching interviews with him.

1 Like

@terb I’m really digging the music in all of those songs. When they break into the death-grunt singing style it leaves me cold. Is there any sludge out there without the death-grunt or is that just part of the style?

2 Likes

the grunt-thing singing is not at all a sludge thing. it’s more a common metal way of expression, but sludge is more related to “extreme rock” than metal and if you listen to pure sludge like Electric Wizard for example, there is very often only clean singing. For more stoner bands, it’s the same thing, there are a lot of clean-singing-only songs and instrumental songs too. And about post-rock/post-metal/shoegaze, those styles are very often purely instrumental so it’s pretty easy to avoid the grunt if it’s not your thing :grin:

some examples :

Electric Wizard, pure sludge, some screaming but no grunt :

(if you evolve in the sludge world, you will always heard about Electric Wizard which is a very fundamental band)

Elder, psychedelic stoner, clean singing ot at least not grunt-ish at all :

Also if you like this musical universe, you might be interested by space rock ! and here is a band I absolutly love, named after the first man in space : Yuri Gagarin . if a song sounds like progressive/psychedelic rock (or stoner) but uses way to much phaser and rotary sounding things, it’s space rock :grin:

And also I would like to precise one thing : the sludge part is the slow, dark and kinda hypnotic rythm and ambience (it’s here with Elder but not at all with Yuri Gagarin, for exemple). The constantly evolving, progressive living structure with no clearly identified verse or chorus is not a sludge thing, it’s more the post-* (-rock, -metal …) part ; this particular aspect is some kind of natural evolution of psychedelic and progressive rock/metal.

3 Likes

For the record, I have listened to Dopethrone at least 10 times since you originally posted it. I didn’t expect to like it so much. But, damn, I’m feeling the Dopethrone.

Thanks for giving me more leads to chase down. :+1:

1 Like

you’re very welcome ! One more sludge disciple to the world ! :grin:

1 Like

Sorry was offline for a while there (on a plane), @terb

I probably should have explained better: when you cross strings going “up” (from lower pitch to higher pitch; e.g., from E to A), then you keep alternating as if you were staying on the same string. When you go the other way across strings, i.e., “down” in pitch, like A to E, then the finger that has just plucked the last note on the A string will again pluck the first note on the E string. This is more efficient, mainly because the plucking finger is already resting on the new string now anyway.

This is called raking, as you keep moving the same finger across the strings, like when collecting leaves with a rake, I guess. Some people keep alternating no matter what, but I find “raking” more efficient on the way “down”.

5 Likes

thanks @joergkutter ! that’s what I do and Scott Devine describes it as : alternate up / economy down.

with a pick the economy/raking thing is called sweeping and it also works going up, but this is not relevant with finger playing because the finger always move from bottom to top so you obviously can’t pluck two strings in the same motion when going up. That said, I almost never sweep with a pick, because it sounds different than down/up, way smoother. sweeping sounds more … fusion I’d say !

well I’m happy to learn that I was naturally raking without knowing the word for it :grin:

3 Likes

There you have it, @terb - raking, sweeping - it’s all the same and reminds me of the garden work I am presently avoiding :grin:

2 Likes

I’m lucky enough to have seen all incarnations of Dev. From SYL to DTP and the acoustic show this year in Brum. Talent, and, as you say, Feels…

1 Like

He also "swept/raked " down with his thumb. Gobsacked… :scream:

1 Like

Since @JoshFossgreen slyly dropped some of these guys in his latest video, it’s BRITPOP ANTHEM TIME!

4 Likes

I saw them live.
I think I still have the ticket.

some “new” music

I did like to listen to sonic youth (actually still do just don’t play it that often anymore)

4 Likes

Also something new. Funky. New album out soon…

7 Likes

Too much good stuff in this thread! This is what I’m hitting today, recommended by a friend who’s an amazing Latin music bassist:

4 Likes

It’s Friday and my half-badass self is practicing “Back in Black” (with the entire AC/DC band as back-up… oh yeah). Today is the first day that I’ve tried to play along with entire songs. Getting pretty good at “Feel Good Inc.”, even with the occasional slide notes. I am one stoked mini badass!! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

'seems you’re getting ready to record some cover, @alchemyst21 :sunglasses:

(and with AC/DC, prepare yourself to be flaged by Youtube/Soundcloud and find your own way for hosting the file !)

4 Likes