"Share some good music" Friday

Weirdly I never got in to Slayer though I was no stranger to the SoCal punk scene at the time. I was most in to Social Distortion at the time. Lots of members rotated through all of those bands, healthy scene.

I think the reason that I never got in to the Big 4 was, and this will sound funny in retrospect, they were too mainstream for me at the time. Which of course they weren’t, but Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer were playing larger venues and in some cases stadiums. Social D, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, TSOL, etc - they were playing small venues packed with punks (at that time).

So basically I missed out on a lot of great stuff because I was some kind of early punk hipster :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Speaking of which :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t get into Slayer til much later, for same reasons, but I don’t really care for Social D.
This album from Slayer is all covers of the bands I listed plus Verbal Abuse ( just remembered that one) and possibly a few others. There is one Slayer track, maybe 2, but they are punk songs they wrote a while back, but never released.

It is a great album.
Course, I love Slayer now, they never sold out like Metallica and MegaDeath, and they are pretty much honorary punk, I don’t know a punk who doesn’t like Slayer and Motörhead, Sabbath, Etc… just no Zeppelin. Lol

Dang! I had all but forgotten about that… sorry! I have now edited my original post and put in the link to the video on Vimeo. Hope it works now :smile:

1 Like

I read a story about Ian Anderson having incurable COPD so I thought I’d post something from Jethro Tull.

3 Likes

Love Jethro Tull.
One of the best live performances I have ever been to.

3 Likes

I saw them at Universal Ampatheater at Universal Studios in Hollywood.
The stage was set up like an English Pub (I imagine, never actually been in an English pub or tavern), the piano had a counter on top, bar stools in front of it, a tap that served beer, or ale, and guys sitting there drinking and playing darts during the whole performance.
Ian is a classic story teller, and such a talented musician, playing a number of instruments throughout the show, guitar, mandolin, and flute of course, among others. They made the audience feel at home and part of the performance, it was a one of a kind evening, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I had the opportunity of seeing them at Madison Square Garden in NYC back in 1977. I was a fantastic show.

1 Like
4 Likes

yeah! I’m late to the game but this whole album is phenomenal.

2 Likes

Some great bass tone in this one and it totally tickles my early post-punk happy spots as well.

1 Like

Not Friday but feel the need to share the man who inspired me to pick up the bass.
The original line up all now sadly gone but never forgotten
R.I.P Lemmy,Fast Eddie and Philthy Animal Taylor

4 Likes
2 Likes

25000 tracks in 5 decades with the wrecking crew a true master he has a special place in history in american music and culture such a kind and gentle soul

3 Likes

Because, really, who doesn’t love '80’s hair. :grin:
5 Likes

I love the Bangles. Interesting group, the way they got started and all. Sad though, the way they broke up.

2 Likes

They did a really solid cover of Hazy Shade of Winter.

4 Likes

That brought back memories of a bit of a crush lol :joy:

3 Likes

Kate and Audrey are AWESOME!!!
:metal: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Oh yes it does!!!

2 Likes