Shifting/sliding and the "string scrape" sound

5 string? 4 is all I can manage. :grin:Sorry, I see that I was late to the party. Next time give La Bella low tension flats a try!

3 Likes

I personally have grown to like the sound - shows there’s a human behind the instrument rather than the noise being generated electronically or something.

I had seen the GHS “Fast Fret” string cleaner before though which supposedly cleans and lubricates the string for faster shifting.

Never tried it myself but i’m guessing in theory it should work as the sound is coming from friction of your fingers against the strings. Less friction = less noise.

Other than that it would be the same advice as above, not too much pressure and maybe flatwounds.

2 Likes

this thing was popular a few years ago, a lot of friends of mine were using Fast Fret. I tried it too but it’s an oil and when you play you have a lot of oil on your fingers ! I find it to be very unpleasant.

1 Like

I’ve had okay luck with it doing a light coat and then giving the strings a wipe. I don’t normally use it, but I usually keep it with me on the road in case an outdoor gig gets my bass dusty or sticky.

1 Like