Short scale bass review

Just to stick to the topic of this thread again i want to give a short overview of this little new baby here . . .

you may ask: “Why a third bass? You are just a beginner?” and you are bloody right. But i´m not looking for a certain kind of shape, or a specific brand, i only care for sound and a certain tone that a bass can offer me. Although the Cort and the Chowny already offer a great variety, my ears wanted more and there it is, the Fender American Performer Mustang bass.

First i was looking for a cheaper kind of a mustang but than i saw a video by Andertons music where they compared the Mexican towards the American version and i wanted a string-through body and this certain combination of pu that can give both worlds of tone from PB to JB and all in between.

The making is absolutely doubtless and without a stain and it worked right out of the box for me. The only thing i´m missing is a thumbrest but that is just my personal taste and can be done later. On the other hand i´m really enchanted how easy this instrument is “painting pictures” just by turning its knobs. The special splitcoils can do a very full, round and smooth deep sound and the bridge pu is doing just the opposite, very quacky and twangy. This is supported by the excellent working greasebucket tone system which makes it so easy to fit the overall sound into everything you need. Nonetheless it is the perfect complement to my other 2 axes and all 3 are needed because they inspire me all the time to play bass and push my creativity. So if you are looking for a shortscale don´t hesitate, give it a try!

Cheers Bernd

10 Likes