Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I’m in module 2 so far and loving the lessons! This is my Ibanez SRMS-805. Not having any experience to compare it to it certainly feels good to me and I like the tone that comes out of it. Noon on the pickup balance seems to produce a super smooth and mellow tone while moving off center 20% in either direction gives a rougher more gravel texture that I really like. Off enter toward the bridge a bit is my favorite for just what my ear likes. It’s been suggested to me that the fanned fret concept would be difficult to hear. I haven’t done any math or made measurements; it just seems fun as an idea. We will see if it messes with me when playing straight frets. Greetings all!

6 Likes

Welcome @DaveT!

1 Like

So I ordered some tools and new set of strings from amazon. Surprisingly everything arrived today and I attempted the set up after reviewing some YouTube videos. I’m glad to announce that the buzzing and hums have drastically reduced. The bass is sounding bright and clean. It seems I’m going to keep this baby for a long time :slightly_smiling_face:.
Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.

7 Likes

hi vik i just wanna say im a big lakland fan and 525 is in the buyer beware zone that is a fifty percent markdown even if it was a demo it would not sell that low i would have a pro inspect it with you that 50.00 you would pay him to meet you at the place you purchase it might save you from buying a 525.00 wallhanger also as of recent they have been being produced in korea so im a little gun shy about lakland till i hear more about the latest turn of events

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer. I tend tend to agree with you. I guess I was looking at an item which has it all in one place. Have to play a little more to see what I really need, not what I want. Thanks…!

2 Likes

The multieffects boxes are good for that - a pretty convenient and cheap way to play with tons of effects. I really liked the Zoom effects processors I had for that.

In the end I went all stompbox too (mostly because I didn’t like digital overdrives and distortions so much.)

However, digital does just fine for lots of effects. Digital reverbs and delays are actually better than analog IMO (and in fact some of the best pedals are digital), and digital does fine for compression and some of the modulation effects too. So if you wanted to try a multi-effects box it would not be a waste of time at all :slight_smile:

We have a thread on the Zoom units here:

1 Like

agree

1 Like

I don’t even use mine in active mode any more, I just keep it passive. Having the switches is nice for being able to alter the pups to get a certain sound quickly. My amp (Fender Rumble 200) also has three settings (Bright, Contour, Vintage) that help dial in for certain songs.

I had my bass at Guitar Center earlier this year when I was thinking about getting a new amp, three people asked me if it was for sale. I had no idea about the head stock matching when I bought it, I just liked the versatility.

3 Likes

18 Likes

Ooh very nice.

2 Likes

Hi,
Haven’t played an instrument since high school band. Years later for some reason I just found out there are short scale basses so I got this purple Jackson minion last week and am working through the lessons and having fun! I “borrowed” my brother’s Rumble 40.

Am enjoying seeing everyone’s gear.

17 Likes

nice instrument :metal::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I love that color!

Also assume you’re a Violent Femmes fan? I love that band too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice color on that bass, @Violet_femme . . . :slight_smile:

Welcome and good luck in the course!

3 Likes

@Rebecca.Jean Ha Ha, great minds think alike. I purchased an Ibanez fretless 5 string at the beginning of the lockdown and named her Corona. I thought I would be the only one LOL

I also name everything, often referring to current events to conjure up a name. Example; I bought a laptop in August of 2005 and named her Katrina :wink:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure a lot of things will be named Corona (or similar names) during this period :joy:

3 Likes

I foresee a bunch of new bands named, “Social Distance”.

3 Likes

Awesome colour :slight_smile: Welcome aboard! Good luck in the course

1 Like

Nice looking bass @Violet_femme, and good choice in the amp you “borrowed” :slight_smile:

Good luck in the course.

1 Like

I like that purple!

2 Likes