Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thanks all of you for the warm welcome and the advice.
As @juli0r says about itself, my feeling about going for a passive bass is note a resolution, it’s just a feeling. In the next month I’ll spend time test some bass in shops. The active bases are not dead to me at all :slight_smile: I’ve a for now 1 guitar per 100€ in mind starting at 400€ with the squier - 500€ cort B4- 600€ epiphone tb vintage pro and the fender MIM around 700€. But it might change regarding my feeling after trying those basses and other ones… and taking a look on the 2hands markets. I’ll keep all your advises in mind, I regret that no shop around me sells LTD/schecter basses.

@dmp Haha that’s a hard guess! Btw your bass look really nice! I’m divided with the colored basses… I really like to see the wood directly or through the painting (that’s a thing holding me back with fender MIM) but this warm red of yours is clearly nice!

6 Likes

You’ll most certainly get more bang for your buck with a nice used bass @Dani

3 Likes

@Mac I hope so, my only problem for now is that all the nice used basses I find are for sales for only 50 or max 100€ below the price in shop… where the sellers have promise me to check the set ip of basse for free. But maybe the golden opportunity will come in augustus

4 Likes

Fingers crossed for you @Dani

4 Likes

@Dani remember the price on a used bass is what they are hoping for, and you can negotiate.
Jamie

3 Likes

which is already not that bad a deal. I had to learn this too but regarding music and instruments the price reduction is not as much as you might be used to. As long as it’s still in good shape the price reduction is usually not that high, but at the same time:

I paid 400€ for a used bass with retail price 599€. But it had a few smaller marks and scratches.

4 Likes

Hi and Welcome to the forum and Bass Buzz!

Ok, I was in a position just like yours a year or so ago. I had a cheap ibanez bass and the more and more I got into bass, the more and more I wanted a fender p bass.

Eventually, because I know what I’m like, I got a Mexican P bass and started playing it to death.

So you’d think that’d be it, yeah?

Yeah, it doesn’t seem to work like that for me… :slight_smile:

So I then started playing around with Jazz basses

(you can see where this is going :slight_smile:)

I ended up getting more and more basses and absolutely loving them all.

But here’s the thing I noticed - the more basses I got, the more it helped me identify what sound and type of bass that I like. I couldn’t do it by just playing about with 1 or 2.

Obviously, my bank manager is having kittens now at my credit card, but however you manage to do it, I think playing loads of basses is a really good idea. It really helps you find what you’re after - and you’ll know instantly when you get one and just go, “ah, this is the one - this is the sound and feel I’m after” and now I end up playing 2 specific basses - one that I recently bought and yup, you guessed it, the original Mexican P bass.

As for the active / passive thing - I find for me personally, that it completely depends on the scene - if I’m at home noodling about - I’ll pick up the passive mexican p bass. But if I’m jamming with my friends in the studio, I’ll take the new active p bass down, so I have the option if I want to, to boost it to cut through and be able to be heard. But to be fair, I normally leave it on passive anyway, unless it’s a specific type of music where I need to go active - it’s just nice to have the option. But again, best advice I can give is to experience every possible bass that you can, however you can to give you an idea of how they’re all subtly different.

The only battle I have left to fight is resisting going down the Stingray path, and @T_dub is really not helping me with this :laughing:

3 Likes

This heavily depends on the used market in your area. I would expect to pay about ~60% of retail, maximum, for a typical used instrument here, and that one would be close to perfect. For example, I paid 35k JPY for my TRBX604, and they typically run around 60-70k new. And it was in near perfect condition. That’s pretty consistent across searches I have done for other instruments too, it mostly depends on demand and patience.

Demand is a factor though. I have never seen a used Ibanez SR2400APL, for example, and when I do I expect it will be expensive relative to other used instruments.

But for things like production basses generally with patience you can get good deals in my experience.

I’ve had better luck than that selling, getting around to 70% retail for some stuff I have sold, but I consider myself lucky there.

For B stock or “surplus” stock I would expect a pretty solid discount here. I bought my 5-string that way at about 70% of full retail and ended up selling it used for a profit. The nice thing about buying that way is you get a warranty.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I haven’t come across big discounts yet… Seems like the market acts quite differently in the European Union. One of the biggest online music shops will only get you a 10% discount for their B-Stock. Good deals seem to be hard to find on other places like Reverb as well.

4 Likes

Same as Australia @Krescht . There are the very occasional bargains out there but very few.
We do have low price budget basses a plenty but a good used quality item is rare .

6 Likes

Yeah I’m 100% sure this varies a lot by region. @T_dub seems to be having really good luck with the US market but others have said the same as you folks about the UK and EU.

6 Likes

do it :smiling_imp:

Gobble gobble we accept you we accept you one of us one of us one of us

6 Likes

Hello, I’ll. I’m and old dude who played professionally in the 70s; tours, recording and studio sessions. After years as a, believe it or not, local cop then federal investigator, I picked up the bass again over a year ago. I have several bass guitars, but of late am really enjoying my MusicMan Stingray Special. I alternate between the Stingray and a Fender Player JB. So little time. So much music left to play.

11 Likes

Welcome aboard @Russell_Kimball look fwd to your posts similar career to myself
Jamie

3 Likes

Welcome @Russell_Kimball
Interesting past you have there :sunglasses:

3 Likes

welcome aboard @Russell_Kimball,
enjoy the ride.

cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome @Russell_Kimball.
I hope your memoirs are soon to be published, because that is a rad backstory.

6 Likes

From one old dude to another…
welcome to the community @Russell_Kimball!

3 Likes

Folks after seeing so many amazing pics of your gear, I have to say I’m more than a little jealous…I think some of y’all have spent more on two sets of strings than I have wrapped up in all of my bass gear. I’m living vicariously through you. Every time I hit the wrong note I’m thinking, “bet those guys don’t have wrong notes on their basses” then I’m back to trying to find the 1…ba ba ba bababa…1…ba ba ba bababa…1. Seriously some of you have some incredible rigs.

5 Likes

There are days I’m sure my fretboard is made up of a combination of bad notes only where I want to play @Tokyo_Rat :joy:

4 Likes