Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

WOW! That is rather nice :+1:

6 Likes

Beautiful looking upright @PamPurrs.

5 Likes

The Carvin is a 1996 5 string Neck thru with Burled maple top, Carvin jazz singles and an ebony fretboard. the preamp went out on it, so I made it a passive only bass for now and jump wired the passive/active pup to be all passive all the time. I plan to install a carvin preamp, a darglass pre-amp or emg… I cannot make up my mind. I won the bass on ebay auction. I thought I lost the bidding but when I woke up I noticed I had won. which I had to scramble to pay for it and sell some other gear. anyways, it came with Hard shell case with keys. The bass play as well as it looks. another kewl thing about it is you can string it through the body or bridge. its a tone master. I do like it a lot, but my SDGR’s are my first true bass love.

5 Likes

If anyone is interested in the Carvin I would consider selling it.

2 Likes

While I am at it! here are my bass rigs. Phil Jones bass C4 cabinet with ampeg pf800… I know overkill but I plan to add another c4 asap! my gig rig is a Carvin BX1600 Head with furhmann power conditioner, a 2x10" cab and a 1x15" cab. this head will allow me to double those cabinets with no problem. Untill I find matching red cabinets I will leave it the way it is.

9 Likes

Hi @Lanmusicman,
Thanks for the description of the Carvin, I had an interest in those cuz my favourite bass player uses one, Timothy B Schmit from the Eagles.
Nice rig also👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@TNKA36 I was not aware that TBS uses a Calvin.

3 Likes

Hi Pam, yes he plays one in one of the live concerts, I will find it and post the link.
When I met him in Malibu I asked him about the Carvin basses, and I got the perception it was a sponsorship arrangement he has in place with the manufacturer.

4 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs,
I just watched a YouTube clip of TBS at Norman’s rare guitars, he gives Norm 2 Signed Carvin basses👍

4 Likes

I believe we have another victim.

5 Likes

Stella is gorgeous!

3 Likes

This is my LTD B-204. I’ve had it for about a year and a half. I love the sound of it, the only downside is it weighs a ton. I’m thinking about changing up my strings too. I currently have DR Black Beauties on it. While they sound good they feel kinda weird due to the coating.

9 Likes

Interesting. How much does it weigh?

I like light basses too; both of mine are well under 4kg.

4 Likes

The weight is why I opted for the Ibanez although the P bass isn’t a lot heavier I think. I has a cheap bass initially and that weighed a ton which isn’t too bad when sitting but didn’t lead to a feeling of “ love “ that I now have for my basses.

5 Likes

Yeah, my LTD B-4E is a little heavier then my other basses, I do notice the difference, but I don’t mind it at all. The neck is nice and thin, and fast, and to me it just feels like QUALITY.
It is like parking the 2018 Camero (Ibanez SR200)
And taking out the ole 442 for a spin.

I must admit that I play sitting more then standing, mostly because of the condition of my knees and legs. Once I get those back in good condition, I will stand a lot more. I just need my gym to open back up, and after a few weeks there they will start to come back.

4 Likes

I have to play sitting atm because my eyesight isn’t good enough to see my iPad clearly if I stand and I’ve still not gotten round to sorting a stand out :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, nothing wrong with sitting. Billy Zoom sits thru all X concerts now, he is battling cancer, and still goes out an performs, last I heard anyway.

I think it is easier to deal with a heavier bass however if you are sitting, so when I stand more, I may notice that it is harder to play longer sessions with the B-4E around my neck, as opposed to the SR400

3 Likes

That’s a damn shame about Billy Zoom ! I didn’t know he was battling the big C .

3 Likes

Yeah, it has been a while. My friend told me the story of him sitting thru a concert at least 4 years ago.

3 Likes

yeah he sits now, but still kills it. x’s new album stands head and shoulders with all their old stuff and if it has a signature to it, it’s that it really is a showcase for billy, much more so then their older stuff.

3 Likes