Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Technically as I’m sliding up or down the pressure is still being applied, so it’s probably just reacting to that brief point where my finger comes across the wrong parts of the frets.

2 Likes

Yeah. As long as it isn’t buzzing when you are fretting properly it’s probably normal and you may just want to consider changing your action height and neck relief a bit.

The truss rod not rotating at all is worrisome. If this is a new bass, I think some truss rods have an outer nut that gets screwed in to the neck fitting and this may be maladjusted, but that’s just a wild guess.

If you do try moving the truss rod in this condition, try loosening it a little first rather than tightening. It would suck if it were cranked down way too tight or something.

3 Likes

In my case would you suggest raising it or lowering it? There was something I did where I put my finger on the first fret and another at the fret that sits right where the body and neck meet. Looking at the eighth and ninth fret there was just enough even space to stick a credit card in it. This is something I saw in a video by the way (HOW TO SETUP A BASS - HIGH OR LOW ACTION - BASS SETUP TUTORIAL - YouTube)
Not sure if that means it’s fine as it is or if I could raise it to bid the buzz adieu.

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you without looking at the bass. Both too low and too high can cause buzzing or growl. Too low can cause buzzing on other frets higher on the neck than the fretted one. Too high can cause buzzing in the current fret unless very good fretting technique is used. Without looking I would suspect the latter but if that’s the case it’s not really a big deal; it’s something you might want to play with for playability.

The way you describe the neck relief, that part sounds ok, but I would want to look at it to see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m honestly aiming for a universal playing style with tapping and slapping involved. It’s my understanding that the lower side of things is in favor of that, so I might not need to do anything other than have that truss rod looked at in the future. I also heard that having it low makes it “easier” to play and being a novice I could really use that ease haha

2 Likes

Oh, wow, been away for a meeting and it seems you and @howard have worked it all out - cool :sunglasses:

And thanks, Howard, for clearing that the issue might have been with a truss rod that doesn’t move/budge at all - I had misunderstood the “budging” referring to the neck… yeah, a truss rod that doesn’t move is bad. Are you sure you had purchase in the adjustment screw - sometimes it is hard to get the Allen keys all the way in.

But… the main issue seems to have been a fretting issue, then!? You would hear a buzz if you plucked the string while you are sliding… normally, during a slide you wouldn’t pluck.

4 Likes

I greatly prefer lower myself. It’s only a problem for picking really.

3 Likes

I want a cat too!

1 Like

I doubt the plastic picks I have will do the strings any justice; they’re pretty flappy haha

2 Likes

Woh woh woh…! Its not a collection. I am honing my craft by using different tools to find my tone. Atleast thats what I tell my wife. What I don’t tell her how much I’ve spent. Seriously I might need more home owners insurance. Lol. Thanks for the nod.

6 Likes

My gear is a Spector LX (Black Cherry Gloss) hooked up to a GK MB112-II.

21 Likes

Ooh very nice

6 Likes

Thanks!

Just getting started with the forums.

7 Likes

From your username I take it you know how to best photograph that gorgeous bass :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Started photography in elementary school and progressed to school photographer in high school and started working at a professional photography studio my junior/senior year then went on my own after graduation. Love it!

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: so beautiful! My Cort Action PJ is black cherry as well… When I bought it, it was on sale in black for 25 Euros less, but I had to get the black cherry one!

4 Likes

@Mike_NL
I agree that you should purchase not only a quality instrument but also one that you enjoy looking at!

4 Likes

That is a beauty, I have been keeping my eye out for a Cirrus as well. I love the headstock on yours, t is awesome, and although I don’e usually like gold hardware, it works for the Cirrus and that headstock for sure.

5 Likes

I’m such a sucker for stickers…awesome

4 Likes

How are those colored strings? I’ve heard mixed reviews about them.

3 Likes